BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   speedo testing Empty speedo testing Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:33 pm

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
The odometer and trip meter n my K100 RT dont work. I have a couple of spares. One consists of most of the internal workings including a complete speedo with what look like good gears etc. I can see that it is connected to the rest of the panel wiring by 3 grey wires. What I want to do, I think, is test that the speedo actually works before I swap it over. So the question is how. I assume I can either test the resistances between the grey wires or apply a voltage across them to test. Mainly I want to see if the speedo moves as it should as I can work the odometer and trip meter by hand and everything there seems good. Can anybody help?

2Back to top Go down   speedo testing Empty Re: speedo testing Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:36 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Remove the speed sensor (don't disconnect it) and hold a 240v soldering iron right next to the sensor. The magnetic field will induce a signal so the speedo registers 61kph as long as the key is on. Plug the other speedo in and test it.
On the big plug there are 2 types of pins round and square from what I gather they don't mix well.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   speedo testing Empty Re: speedo testing Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:57 am

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Rick. Sounds easy enough. Will this also make the odometer gears move as well?

4Back to top Go down   speedo testing Empty Re: speedo testing Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:45 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
It sure will.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum