BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Stuck Oil Filter K100 RT Empty Stuck Oil Filter K100 RT Wed May 21, 2008 9:08 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Thanks for the forum.
Well it's stuck. 1986 K100RT. Not ridden for about 7 years. Had lots of oil though obviously old. I don't have the BMW socket so I purchased a strap type spanner and broke the strap. I removed the pan and have tried a standard oil filter wrench (the metal band you tighten) and that won't budge it. I don't know how these things would stick wether by the thread or the rubber seal.
Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Ross

2Back to top Go down   Stuck Oil Filter K100 RT Empty Re: Stuck Oil Filter K100 RT Thu May 22, 2008 5:57 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Years ago, I had the same problem on my K75. This was my mistake as I used the wrench to tight my oil filter.
The problem was not the thread, but the rubber seal.
I didn't want to open the engine and I had to put the bike on its side and drive a long screw driver through the oil filter. I had to destroy the filter and use a wisegrip to get it out.

When installing a new filter, fill it up with oil and they make sure that the rubber seal is coated with oil too.
lift the filter straight and screw it by hand. Finish with the wrench by screwing a 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Yes this is enough.

3Back to top Go down   Stuck Oil Filter K100 RT Empty Re: Stuck Oil Filter K100 RT Sun May 25, 2008 11:21 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Thanks. I did think about putting something through the filter to try to turn it, but I hesitated as I didn't think the body of the filter would be strong enough to not just tear in half, thereby ruining any chance I had of using some sort of wrench on it.
Oh well. I did think of slightly "warming" the filter around the top in the hope it may soften the gasket. I had a look and cannot see anything that could burn or be destroyed by the "warmth". Guess I better go the safe option and just ram something thru it.
Thanks for the advice. I will let you know how it goes.

ross

4Back to top Go down   Stuck Oil Filter K100 RT Empty Re: Stuck Oil Filter K100 RT Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:31 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Well after much deliberation I decided to use a screwdriver. Came off easy as. I think it may just have been a case of over tightening as the both the seal and the thread were in perfect order. I was actually surprised how strong the casing of the filter is, or was. Thanks for your tips and if anyone else has this problem just ram a driver through is and turn.
Rossco

5Back to top Go down   Stuck Oil Filter K100 RT Empty Re: Stuck Oil Filter K100 RT Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:22 pm

scottiesharpe

scottiesharpe
Silver member
Silver member
Good to know that worked!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum