BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
Hey gang.

Any tips for methods of checking for front brake rotor warpage?

Im noticing some pulsing through the lever at low speeds. 

I have a dial gauge with a magnetic base but cant figure a way of measuring the rotating disk and ensuring its spinning true on its axis relative to the dial gauge. 

more info:
I recently (6 months ago) purchased some new floating disks for my 1100 front end. I got the cheapest I could find and they were Chinese aftermarket jobs. Also got some cheap Chinese pads

I think I may have been a tad over enthusiastic during the bedding in phase and caused one to warp. 
 Today I removed and dismantled my front callipers, removed the pistons and cleaned everything. Replaced all the fluid with new stuff.

The new cheap pads needed some filing out of the holes that the mounting pin goes through, as they were not quite lined up properly. Now they slide more freely on the pins. 

The pulsing is still there but seems to be significantly less. 

Ive used a straight edge to check the rotors for general flatness and couldnt notice any warping. But this is far from an accurate method Id say....

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Get a piece of 5mm x 50mm flat about 75mm long and drill a 10mm hole in one corner. You can then bolt it to the fork leg with one of the caliper bolts, no need to remove the caliper, and there you have a steel platform to mount the dial gauge that wont move in relation to the disc.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
aye !...sounds like  plan rick

good luck Floyd

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Axial cupping, is something to also keep an eye out for, (where the top of the disc leans in and the inner most leans out just by a smidge but combined makes itself felt) It may have come up in the clutch thread one time cupping that is, but I'm sure I read about it back in or around 2014 with brakes.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

Corkboy

Corkboy
Life time member
Life time member
Have a look at this
http://www.k11og.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12756
(too lazy to retype  cheers )

Corkboy '87 K100RS SE (The black one - one of the two bikes I'm sorry I sold)
             '87 K100RS 0140995 (Gone)
             '97 K1100LT 0188024 (Gone)
             '08 K1200GT Wedge - but still a K
             '08 Transalp 700

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
Cheers ya'll

Ricks metal plate idea sounds like a beauty! Will give it a go this arvo....

(n a side note - but related to metal bar...  - The other day I fitted a paralever rear end to my K100. This required fabricating a simple bracket for the rear exhaust hanger. Went to the hardware to buy a small bit of flat bar....it was $20 for the size I wanted. Bugger that! So I wandered up to the various brackets used for timber framing and pargola footings etc....Found the right bracket with enough metal for my project and bought it....was $4! for just as much steel as the $20 plain bar.....crazy!)

Corkboy: Cheers mate. The first post in the link you sent me is exactly what Im experiencing. And the fact its reduced somewhat by me cleaning the disks and calipers makes me think its not warpage....but will check with a dial gauge this arvo....

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Few year ago, my back brake overheated and the disk was slightly marked.
As a temporary solution I removed the wheel, put the bike in first gear and when the wheel was rotating cleaned the disk with a wet stone.
Normally, these stones have to be used with oil, but I opted to use gas in order to avoid any greasy deposits. The trick is to slide the stone in multiple positions to keep a flat surface.
A very good cleaning of the disk is required after this treatment. You don't want to get grits embedded in your brake pads.

The temporary solution worked so well that after at least 5 years, the same disk is still on the bike.

Tips for testing rotor warpage (k1100) 61a4ZdCv-4L._SX522_

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum