BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Warning light problem Empty Warning light problem Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:19 pm

SRD

1991 K100LT 8v ABS

I've cured a starting problem, (replaced the fuel injection control unit under the seat; bike now runs fine and passed MOT with flying colours), but I am left with a problem with the two red warning lights, (bulb monitoring light and the un-named one at the bottom left of the speedo).

Both lights come on with the ignition and stay lit until I move off and apply the brakes, as expected. However, instead of going out, both then start to flash together, around 1 second on, 1 second off. Normally, this would indicate a faulty tail / brake light, but all the lights work OK.

I will check the connections on the bulb monitoring unit, but is there anything else that can cause this problem?

Simon

2Back to top Go down   Warning light problem Empty Re: Warning light problem Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:26 pm

robinm

robinm
Silver member
Silver member
That un-named one in the speedo is the ABS light. indicating a ABS fault.

3Back to top Go down   Warning light problem Empty Re: Warning light problem Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:11 pm

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
SRD,
First have you got ABS on your bike? If yes, clean the sensor pick up toothed wheels with emery then try it. Flashing indicates the ABS fault.
Most always, the light staying on is the switch cable at the handle bar brake, needs changing. Or the rear one.
Betcha.
Ajays

This Colin's report not mine...It will help you.

ABS2 on early bike]

[list]
Locate the diagnostic connector under the seat. Remove it from the blanking plug. ]
Insert one end of 20 cm wire into the middle socket of this connector.]
Ground the other end firmly to a metal bolt in the area (and keep grounded). ]
Turn on ignition. You should see the lights flash alternately.]
Hold ABS button down for about 8 seconds. The bottom ABS light will stay on, and the top one off. ]
[/list]
Release the ABS button. If you have successfully reset the ABS, both ABS lights will come on. If you have failed to count to 8, or your ground is not good, the top ABS light will stay off]

4Back to top Go down   Warning light problem Empty Re: Warning light problem Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:06 am

SRD

Hi Ajays,

Thanks for the info. For clarification, by "diagnostic connector under the seat", do you mean the flat, 3 pin socket fastened to the top frame tube above the fuel injection control unit, or do you mean the round, white socket in the relay tray?

Regards

Simon

5Back to top Go down   Warning light problem Empty Re: Warning light problem Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:50 am

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
Under seat Righthand side you will see a flat 3 socket with a blank plug in it, Green I think. This is what is used by the dealers for diagnostics.

Follow above instructions.
On Crazy Frogs Download page I believe there is a fault code. With your light you can count the lights to match where the faults is.

If not here it is.

by putting a readout
light
between the ABS pin and ground you can get a blink code when the bike
is on. All codes except 5 seem to be persistent (needing reset by this
procedure). There is also a BMW document, part 01 71 9 798 811 (5/90), that you
may be able to locate which is for troubleshooting ABS.

• 1. front pressure modulator
  • 2. rear pressure modulator
  • 3. front wheel speed sensor
  • 4. rear wheel speed sensor
  • 5. battery voltage too low
  • 6. ABS relay
  • 7. ABS control unit
  • 8. sensor gap front or
    rear, or other outsude influence
  • 9. <unknown, but seems
    to exist>
  • 16. reportedly "Failed
    plunger test" (also seems to be persistent)

AJAYS

6Back to top Go down   Warning light problem Empty Re: Warning light problem Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:49 pm

SRD

Ajays,

Great stuff, I'm sure it will help; many thanks.

I may not get the chance to try this out until Wednesday, but I'll let you know how I get on.

Simon

7Back to top Go down   Warning light problem Empty Re: Warning light problem Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:56 pm

greenmachine61

greenmachine61
Hi Simon,
This not a problem, once you have depressed both front and rear brakes sitches, then the warning light will synchronize with ABS warning light.
Start riding your bike, and once you have reached 4 kmh, both lights will turn off unless you have a ABS fault.

Regards,
Denis

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum