BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

jnclem

jnclem
Does the high idle lever on the K actually have 2 solid positions? In other words, do you have two actual detents that you can set that lever in?

My '89 RS doesn't. It has a detent at position 1, and I can push it up to position 2 and it does pull the throttle plate up to the stop, but I have to hold it there to use position 2. No detent. It works the way it's supposed to, but no detent.

My 89 GS has not detents at all, But friction will hold the enrichener  lever wide open, or anywhere I want to put it.

No big deal, just curious.

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
To which model of GS are you referring?

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
You shouldn't need to hold the lever at the second position on the RS; it should stay where it's put.

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Only one of my bikes(I've had 5) has had 2 detents.  I suspect that the second position is for cranking, and when the engine catches you can release it and the lever goes to the detent in the first position to warm up the engine.  I can't recall ever needing the second position once the engine started even in temperatures down to almost freezing.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Point-Seven-five wrote:Only one of my bikes(I've had 5) has had 2 detents.  I suspect that the second position is for cranking, and when the engine catches you can release it and the lever goes to the detent in the first position to warm up the engine. 
According to BMW scripture, on the 2V motos, the second position is for starting below 32ºF and the first position is for starting above 32ºF, if necessary. In either case once started, the rider is supposed to get going and not dawdle. Starting speed indication lamps are often undependable or non-existent. The rider is expected to shut down the starting speed control after underway instead of using darting off the road in a curve when downshifting as a prompt.   Smile

jnclem's first and second position starting speed cable gaps probably need to be adjusted. There's a detente ball in the lever that might be missing. I've lubricated the assembly on my moto when it got stiff; other than that, it's never had a will of its own.

jnclem

jnclem
Laitch wrote:You shouldn't need to hold the lever at the second position on the RS; it should stay where it's put.
Ok, I might dig into the lever and see what's up. It is really no problem, I was just curious.

Last edited by jnclem on Tue May 18, 2021 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

jnclem

jnclem
Laitch wrote:To which model of GS are you referring?
I was just making the comparison that they made different kinds of levers. It's an R100gs.

jnclem

jnclem
Point-Seven-five wrote:Only one of my bikes(I've had 5) has had 2 detents.  I suspect that the second position is for cranking, and when the engine catches you can release it and the lever goes to the detent in the first position to warm up the engine.  I can't recall ever needing the second position once the engine started even in temperatures down to almost freezing.
Right. I don't need it either once it's started. I never gave it a second thought. I just pushed it up to position 2 when needed, started the engine, and dropped it to position one until it would idle. I just got thinking the other day that there is likely supposed to be a second detent to hold it up there. Generally, if it's really cold, I just hold a touch of throttle for a minute and that's all it needs. The cable is set right and pulls the plate as far as it's supposed to for each position.

Mick67

Mick67
Silver member
Silver member
For what its worth my early 2V also doesn't hold the second position. I hold in second position until it fires and then release and it holds in the 1st position until clicked off manually.

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Mick67 wrote:For what its worth . . .
It doesn't seem like it's worth as much as mine, Mick. Mine is appearing to be like a rare flaw in a run of minted coins. A few more examples of self-regulating starting speed levers here and I'l be auctioning my moto's lever to the highest bidding collector on ebay, once the reserve is met, of course.  Smile

jnclem

jnclem
Mick67 wrote:For what its worth my early 2V also doesn't hold the second position. I hold in second position until it fires and then release and it holds in the 1st position until clicked off manually.
Yup. Same.

jnclem

jnclem
Laitch wrote:
Mick67 wrote:For what its worth . . .
It doesn't seem like it's worth as much as mine, Mick. Mine is appearing to be like a rare flaw in a run of minted coins. A few more examples of self-regulating starting speed levers here and I'l be auctioning my moto's lever to the highest bidding collector on ebay, once the reserve is met, of course.  Smile
Actually, no. My RS is the finest K100 ever made. Yours appears to be some sort of freak, Friday afternoon patch together job that received one too many detents. That's alright. You seem to like it.  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
jnclem wrote:Actually, no. My RS is the finest K100 ever made. Yours appears to be some sort of freak, Friday afternoon patch together job that received one too many detents. That's alright. You seem to like it.  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
It isn't so much like as appreciate, like appreciating that a chunk of frozen human waste falling from an airplane hit the guy in front of me instead of me. I do have empathy though.  Smile

Last edited by Laitch on Wed May 19, 2021 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Going out in the garage and checking, the one bike that I have with the double detent is my 1994 K75RT. Since Laitch's bike is a 1995, and all my single detent bikes were 1992 or earlier. This makes me think that the double detent is a feature of the later bikes so I guess we're all correct as to how our bikes work.

Past:
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
My 1992 K75s has double detent.
Regards Martin.

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
There are two different detent plates available.  Both are curved and are embedded in the choke lever housing.  One plate design has two holes and is a large arc shape.  The second style plate only has one hole and is a much smaller arc shape.  Either are interchangeable.  As point 75 says, the double detent plate was a later issue.  Below is a snap from the RealOEM page for the K75 showing the full detent plate (#7):

High Idle Cable - 2 Positions? Really? Detent10

Last edited by robmack on Tue May 18, 2021 11:43 pm; edited 2 times in total

jnclem

jnclem
Well that clears it up. This is an ‘89. The manual talks about 2 positions, so maybe it was coming soon. Interesting. I think my 93 K1100lt had 2 actual detents, but I couldn’t swear to it. I like this bike so much better than that one.

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Well, I guess getting the new Winnebago with my auction proceeds is off the table. I didn't like the color scheme anyway.

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
jnclem wrote:The manual talks about 2 positions, so maybe it was coming soon. 
It came soon alright. This illustration and its accompanying instruction is from the 1984 K100 manual. So, call me a Doubting Thomas but I think maladjustment is still in play because freedom of rotation seems to be governed by a friction washer, but as robmack indicates, there are two differing detent plates.

I'll bet a large maple creemee, topped with maple sugar dust, from Morse Farm on my perspective being the correct one. Bring on the increased starting speed assembly cadavers and let's have some autopsies! cheers
I'm willing to sacrifice my dream of being an impediment on my nation's highways just to be right.

Last edited by Laitch on Thu May 20, 2021 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Attitude adjustment)

Mick67

Mick67
Silver member
Silver member
Couldn't sleep until I had a look (anxiety at something not working on my bike and a deep jealousy of a 2 position lever), so went digging.

I present the following as evidence only. The experts can do the forensics...however it appears that I, as the song goes, do indeed only have one ball.Sad

High Idle Cable - 2 Positions? Really? 20210510

jnclem

jnclem
Mick67 wrote:Couldn't sleep until I had a look (anxiety at something not working on my bike and a deep jealousy of a 2 position lever), so went digging.

I present the following as evidence only. The experts can do the forensics...however it appears that I, as the song goes, do indeed only have one ball.Sad

High Idle Cable - 2 Positions? Really? 20210510
No Maple creemee for Laitch.

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Hey! this is fun. As long as we're arguing about this bit of kit, let me speculate that the second detent is handy for getting the engine to idle at a high enough speed to get the alternator to charge the battery. A while back I was checking the alternator on one of my bikes and found that it did not go above 13volts until the engine speed exceeded 2000rpm. The first detent only takes engine speed to about 1500-1800rpm, while the second will take it to about 2500 up to 3000rpm. Of course, your rpm may vary.

So, maybe the second detent is there to allow the engine to idle fast enough to charge the battery.

Past:
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
jnclem wrote:
Mick67 wrote:I present the following as evidence only. The experts can do the forensics...however it appears that I, as the song goes, do indeed only have one ball.Sad
I can get a maple creemee anytime, even in the dead of winter, jnclem. This creemee is an award for excellence in inquiry. Mick has earned one and is free to drop in here then we'll ride to Morse's. It might be a little out-of-the-way for Mick but the trip will be worth it; however only one example does not constitute a well-developed body of evidence so take yours apart too.  Smile  Get with the program. Point-Seven-five is also in the creemee queue.

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Creemee!!! cheers

Past:
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

Shep

Shep
Life time member
Life time member
So, if someone is keeping track of all this then add to it my 1987 RS has only one hold position on the choke with the ability to rev the engine higher but by manually moving & holding the choke lever to a second position.
Shep

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Shep wrote:So, if someone is keeping track . . .
I'm keeping track of all this, Shep, although I'd prefer photo documentation of research to prevent temptation of creemee privilege abuse.  Smile  I'm already up to a six dollar investment and the research grant does have qualifications and a ceiling. Contact me through the site to make an appointment.

Ringfad

Ringfad
Life time member
Life time member
I must be bored but had to go out and check all my bikes and they all only have 1 ball.

K100RS 1987 Style, K1 1990 and 1993, K1100lt 1992 (swiss)

;BMW; K100RS Style Black 1987 105K Km     ;BMW; K1 Black 1993 60K Km     ;BMW;  K1100RS Black 1996       ;BMW; K1 Blue 1990 25K Miles

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Point-Seven-five wrote:Since Laitch's bike is a 1995, and all my single detent bikes were 1992 or earlier.  This makes me think that the double detent is a feature of the later bikes so I guess we're all correct as to how our bikes work.
Incoming data suggests that is accurate. The double detente [sic] plate was probably developed as an accommodation for arthritic thumbs straining to hold full fast starting speed position on motos that were desperately out-of-tune. 

There might be a lesson here about sectarian beliefs perhaps undermining a thorough comprehension of reality but the jury is still out. Laughing

Last edited by Laitch on Thu May 20, 2021 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Hair shirt fitment)

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Ringfad wrote:I must be bored but had to go out and check all my bikes and they all only have 1 ball.
I'm idle, but this research is so stimulating that boredom can make no headway. I believe all of these levers have only one ball. The investigation concerns the number of holes in the mechanism's detente plate that can accept the ball. Nonetheless, Ringfad's overcoming of inertia has qualified for the award.

Mick67

Mick67
Silver member
Silver member
In an attempt to achieve detente about detents, I agree we all only have one ball, I also have only one 'ball holder'.

No idea what a Creemee is, but a North American ride does interest me...Just got to wait for the statute of limitations to expire from my last visit.

As an aside, I only pack detent if we are camping out.

jnclem

jnclem
Laitch wrote:
jnclem wrote:
Mick67 wrote:I present the following as evidence only. The experts can do the forensics...however it appears that I, as the song goes, do indeed only have one ball.Sad
I can get a maple creemee anytime, even in the dead of winter, jnclem. This creemee is an award for excellence in inquiry. Mick has earned one and is free to drop in here then we'll ride to Morse's. It might be a little out-of-the-way for Mick but the trip will be worth it; however only one example does not constitute a well-developed body of evidence so take yours apart too.  Smile  Get with the program. Point-Seven-five is also in the creemee queue.
Ok, although I am likely not motivated enough to tear into a perfectly functioning idle lever, I was motivated enough to Google Maple Creemee. I must say that it looks good. As to the idle lever, even here in ice box Gunnison, I only hold it all the way open a couple of times each year, so I'm happy with the single detent. For the curious https://newengland.com/today/travel/vermont/maple-creemee/

JSFR80

JSFR80
Hey Laitch, I'll take you up on the large maple creeme bet. I also live in Vermont, so am close enough to collect on it. Very Happy  Both of my k75's, a 1990 and a 1991, have the double detents. Both of my k100's, a 1987 and a 1991 have single detents. According to MAX's parts fiche the k75 and k100 housings have different part numbers, so I'm betting it's a k75 vs k100 thing.

Shep

Shep
Life time member
Life time member
Also living in a cold area where I have only been able to ride up to the middle of November before shutting down (due to ice on roads and snow).
On my 1987 K100 RS I have only used the choke above the first indent a few times a year for ten seconds or so and then release it to sit at the first and only indent on the choke. Just checked the 1985 K100 RS project bike and it also has a single indent.
Shep

34Back to top Go down   High Idle Cable - 2 Positions? Really? Empty Detent Wed May 19, 2021 9:44 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Hey JSFR, luckily you live in Vermont, so your close enough to deliver a creemee. I have a '91 K75S, it only has one detent, so I don't think it's a K75 thing. I wonder if it's a later option based on the climate of the country. I never need it.

JSFR80

JSFR80
daveyson wrote:Hey JSFR, luckily you live in Vermont, so your close enough to deliver a creemee. I have a '91 K75S, it only has one detent, so I don't think it's a K75 thing. I wonder if it's a later option based on the climate of the country. I never need it.
That is unusual  scratch. Mine is also a 91 k75s and it definitely has two detents. All k75's also have a different part number than all the k100's. Every k75 I have seen has two. Does anybody else out there have a k75 with only one detent?

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
I've checked all my 75s and they all have the second detent.  They range in age from an '89 through to '94.   High Idle Cable - 2 Positions? Really? 214585 
One is a Euro delivery bike and the others are all Oz models.

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
JSFR80 wrote:According to MAX's parts fiche the k75 and k100 housings have different part numbers, so I'm betting it's a k75 vs k100 thing.
The K1100 models have the same housing number as the K100 models so those who own a K1100 should come forward with their research results and let us know if that model has a two-stop or a one-stop-and-press assembly, if they haven't been lulled into unconsciousness by all this. I think it'll be a two-stop.

38Back to top Go down   High Idle Cable - 2 Positions? Really? Empty Detent Thu May 20, 2021 3:35 am

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Well there ya go, another example where I thought I could rely on my memory, actually my k75 does have two detents. Actually maybe even three, off position feels like a detent too. And four k100's which only have one.

jnclem

jnclem
daveyson wrote:Well there ya go, another example where I thought I could rely on my memory, actually my k75 does have two detents. Actually maybe even three, off position feels like a detent too. And four k100's which only have one.
I really thought this was a simple question.  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy  I sold my 93 K1100 to my brother in Minnesota. Now I have to email him and have him go out and check the number of detents on that bike. Rolling Eyes

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
jnclem wrote:I really thought this was a simple question. 
Actually, you raised two questions—one regarding the universality of increased starting speed deployment capability, and one questioning reality.  Smile

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member

I really thought this was a simple question.  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy  

I knew you would be surprised how much traction this got. I'm sure I'm not the only other one surprised by it. 

The other surprising thing for me was that this thread made me hungry. It's entirely the fault of this thread that I had too many slices of pizza last night. That's gotta be worth a creemee for me, or some sort of treat, I'll have to have a look see.

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
With a modicum of effort this thread can be as long or longer than the recent one about engine noises.

Past:
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

jnclem

jnclem
Laitch wrote:
Actually, you raised two questions—one regarding the universality of increased starting speed deployment capability, and one questioning reality.  Smile
Not to mention, what the heck is a maple creemee.

BenKRS

BenKRS
jnclem wrote:
Laitch wrote:
Not to mention, what the heck is a maple creemee.
 I don't know why anyone  hasn't  thought of this earlier but....Is it better to be outside detent pee(K)ing in, or Inside detent pee(K)ing out? your thoughts

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
BenKRS wrote:I don't know why anyone  hasn't  thought of this earlier but....
Maybe everyone has just been two tents to consider that.

tinyspuds

tinyspuds
Life time member
Life time member
Laitch wrote:a chunk of frozen human waste falling from an airplane hit the guy in front of me
That would make the extra detent

2000 Hayabusa with Charnwood chair, Wasp forks and EZS wheels.

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
DetenTion is getting to me I am on de-tenterhooks in anticipation for the final outcome..
Regards Martin

jnclem

jnclem
The mystery remains. I finally got word from my brother, only one fast idle position on the '93 K1100lt. So it’s not just based on model year. This has been fun, but then, I’m easily amused.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum