BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   ABS CPU Fault Empty ABS CPU Fault Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:07 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Folks,
As a confirmed believer in the value of ABS I was concerned when I found my ABS system registered a fault at the end of a 200K ride just after re-starting on my way home after a stop to clear the squashed bugs off my visor.

I checked the system when I got home using a meter and an LED. As a tip to anyone who wants to read out faults from the CPU most digital meters respond too slowly to register properly and an old fashioned pointer type multimeter set to volts works much better. As an alternative a 12 volt LED or LED with resistor works very well.

I got a code 7 which is a central processor fault, I reset the fault which seemed OK and went for a ride, within 5 K it came back and I then thought what shall I do? I have a spare CPU which was given to me as faulty and indeed it was when I tried it.

I don't know if you have looked at the price of a new one but it is HUGE (and yes I am shouting). A second-hand known good unit was an option but the best option for me was a repaired unit from the world renowned Sensei of the ABS CPU world Tosi Tabuki.

He is an embedded systems engineer who bought a K 100 with an ABS fault and when he opened it up (he is an engineer after all said and done) he thought "I can fix this!" He had worked for many years on similar technology systems using similar generation components so had both the training, experience and knowledge of the weaknesses of the solid state devices of the period to enable him to fix it.

What he did not have was a circuit diagram nor a firmware code listing, so for six months of weekends he set out to meticulously reverse engineer the unit and its coding.

Having done that, he fixed his unit and then set out to repair ABS units for other K riders. He is a most meticulous engineer who thoroughly tests every aspect of the repaired device and then guarantees his workmanship!

So knowing from other K riders that he was the expert I got into dialogue with him and sent him the ABS brain from my bike. Thanks to Japan Post it arrived very quickly and he turned it round very quickly and I now have it back in my bike. The price was a very reasonable 15,000 Yen which was less than I could get a second-hand non warranted unit for here in NZ.

I am extremely pleased as it works perfectly - as it was designed to, bless you Tosi. I would recommend Tosi and his company Milky way Technology Japan as the very pinnacle of ABS repair, his web address is http://bmwk10075abs1fix.web.fc2.com/

He is the Sensei - the master! He also rides a K 100! He is also a very pleasant person to deal with.
Regards,
K-BIKE

2Back to top Go down   ABS CPU Fault Empty Re: ABS CPU Fault Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:36 am

wikur

wikur
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks K-BIKE!
Interesting read about the ABS brain on Mr Tabuki`s web page.
Cheers,Wikur!

3Back to top Go down   ABS CPU Fault Empty Re: ABS CPU Fault Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:41 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Wikur,
He really is a nice guy and extremely talented, from my research on the net he is the only person who repairs ABS computers that I could find and he gives a warranty on his work as well. I was well pleased with getting the ABS back and working.

I am amazed how good the ABS on my bike is when push comes to shove and the results of the real world ABS tests that were done a number of years ago (I referenced that elsewhere on this site a while back) showed that in really treacherous conditions, riders with ABS consistently out-brake riders without ABS.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum