BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   EBC disc bargain for UK riders? Empty EBC disc bargain for UK riders? Fri May 20, 2011 2:18 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
For anyone in the UK. There are a pair of EBC front discs currently on ebay. They are the ABS, floating type and look to be in good condition.
Two days to go and bidding is sitting at £9.99!
EBC discs
I would buy them myself but am changing to four pot brakes.

http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

2Back to top Go down   EBC disc bargain for UK riders? Empty Re: EBC disc bargain for UK riders? Sat May 21, 2011 6:21 pm

IPJ100

IPJ100
Silver member
Silver member
Hi, which kind of 4 pot are you going for > are you keeping the front end standard??

Ian

3Back to top Go down   EBC disc bargain for UK riders? Empty Re: EBC disc bargain for UK riders? Sat May 21, 2011 7:56 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Ian. Long story. See the threads 'Are radials worth the effort' and 'ABS brain teaser' for the full story.
I decided that I would like to change the rims to K1100RS items so that I could run modern radial tyres.
The back is a straight bolt on job. No mods needed except remove the centre stand or replace with an RS item. You only need to unbolt the brake calliper to get clearance to get it in.
The front is a bit more complicated.
The easiest way is to replace the entire front end, including the fork yokes and master cylinder, with one from the K1100RS. Simple?
Not quite. I thought that it meant that I would have to remove the ABS as they are slightly different systems and this did cause some concern, especially to my insurance company. Happy about the wheel and brake upgrade but not the ABS removal.
I had collected all of the various components over last winter but was dithering about whether to do it or not and then the sun came out. So everything went on hold until I had a test drive on a couple of new Kawasakis and fancied the idea of the radials and better brakes again.
Looking at it again, I now feel that the ABS sensor ring and pick up from the K1100 is similar enough to work with my older system and have decided to get the parts ready and do the swap some wet weekend.
A word of warning. If you are thinking of going ahead with the swap be aware that the K1100LT uses the same size of rims as the old K100. You could use the rear wheel and the front end if you only want to upgrade the brakes though. Personally, I think you would be as well going the whole hog and using the RS bits.

4Back to top Go down   EBC disc bargain for UK riders? Empty Re: EBC disc bargain for UK riders? Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:22 am

ian1200

If you use the same sensors for the abs AND the pole wheels (toothed cogs) have the same number of teeth then there shuld be no problem with the abs

5Back to top Go down   EBC disc bargain for UK riders? Empty Re: EBC disc bargain for UK riders? Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:22 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Ian. Yes, I think they are close enough. The K1100 ABS ring is one cm smaller in diameter but has exactly the same number of teeth, 100.
Hard bit is tracking down an ABS sensor to fit the front forks, which came without one.
The main breakers such as Motorworks, are after £55 for a used one. I have seen a few on eBay but they are always attached to a set of forks that are for sale. Tried contacting the sellers but they are reluctant to split them once listed.
Just have to keep my eyes open for one turning up.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum