BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   K100RT -85 run too rich. Empty K100RT -85 run too rich. Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:00 pm

towu

A little pack fires, coughs and twitching. And yes, everything else is check like air leakage, throttle balance, ignition timing...
Which way, cw or ccw, I should turn air mixture adjust screw if I want it lean way?

2Back to top Go down   K100RT -85 run too rich. Empty Re: K100RT -85 run too rich. Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:48 pm

It's not recommended to turn the TB's air screws, if that is what you are referring to, unless you have a way to measure the air flowing through all four of the throttle bodies simultaneously. The 'richness' of the motor is controlled by the small screw under the plug on the top of the airbox, right hand side. I recommend some way to measure the mixture using an exhaust gas analyser. Also, the ignition timing is best done with a dynamic timing light, hopefully an adjustable one, and also the timing mark isn't 'fixed' as it's dependent upon where it was set originally. You would have to measure whether it's advanced or retarded. The factory settings and how they arrive at them are convoluted. Here is a link to one person's way of measuring and then setting it.

http://skylands.ibmwr.org/tom/tech/k100_timing.html

Others will, I'm sure, have some good advice for you on where to look, but an air leak is likely, or perhaps a coil is about to go tits up. Have you looked closely for fine cracking of the air intake rubbers? Good luck with it.

3Back to top Go down   K100RT -85 run too rich. Empty Re: K100RT -85 run too rich. Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:46 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
ccw will make it leaner, as you open the bypass of the AMM further which measures the air passing through to adjust the fuel quantity.

But TWB has good advise! Make sure everything else is OK as this screw normally doesn't shift.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland K100RT -85 run too rich. Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

4Back to top Go down   K100RT -85 run too rich. Empty Re: K100RT -85 run too rich. Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:26 pm

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
Hi there, here
http://skylands.ibmwr.org/tom/tech/co-setting.html
is a way to do it without an exhaust gas analyser.
Best regards
JAP

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum