BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   faulty k100 gearbox Empty faulty k100 gearbox Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:13 pm

gabriel

Platinum member
Platinum member
Hi

I own a 1984 K100. runnibg perfectlt until recently when the gearbox refused to work..only happened the day after i changed the oil...yes..i used the correct oil..castrol 80w/90..anyway, initially there was no problem then noticed that there was a lot of freeplay in the foot lever..continued riding the bide..with great difficutly...day two...eventully was unable to select first gear..all other gears were reasonably ok....arrived home just in time when I noticed the foot lever gave way completely....there is no resistance in the foot lever...could do a complete rotation of that lever if the footrests werent there...had a look at an expoloded diagram of the gearbox..there is a spring located in the gear changing mechanism..perhps that spring has broken? any ideas appreciated.......i was quoted approx $1200 aus dollars for a gearbox repair....$600 to remove the gerbox!!!!!

i want to give it a go..any ideas how i can support the bike whilst the rear wheel and accessories are removed..

thanks

2Back to top Go down   faulty k100 gearbox Empty Re: faulty k100 gearbox Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:29 pm

Toto_jp

Platinum member
Platinum member
Trestle arrangement across back of frame , and you will probably find the bolt loose on the shift mechanism inside the box Smile
Tony

3Back to top Go down   faulty k100 gearbox Empty Re: faulty k100 gearbox Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:51 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
You are gonna have to take the gearbox out to fix it.

As Toto said it will be a small grub screw that locates the shift mechanism onto the shaft the lever goes on and it's inside the gearbox.

Someone had probably had it apart and not used locktite on the screw and it works it way out and lets the mechanism rotate on the shaft.

Sorry to be a bearer of bad news but there is just no way around it.

The money seems a bit excessive, the job isn't hard to do especially removing the gearbox. Taking it apart may be more than you want to do depending on how mechanically capable you are.

Where in Oz are you we may be able to put you on to a repair place that is som4ewhat more reasonably priced or even help you.

Last edited by K Freak on Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More ruhbarb)

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum