You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hi guys ....

my temperature guage has become rather ....erm ...eratic

what happens is that when the bike is running at speed the temperature guage needle jumps all over the place within the range of the guage .

im sure the jewelling has become loose (hope it hasnt cracked ) and the coil mechanism is loose on the mechaism ...sometimes a tap will setttle it back to where it should sit and everything is good ...

well you all know i cant keep my hands off ...so im intending opening the guage to see if i can make things right

what worries me is the resealing of the glass face and perimiter ring of the guage afterwards,,

now if i was instrument repairer i guess i would have the right tools and the knowledge ..but im not ...but ill give it a try anyhow

anybody else tried this ......and succesfully resealed the dial face

comments please

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
No but I will await you outcome as mine needs a new glass and I was thinking the same thing.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
got it apart but there are tiny things in there that would prevent things progressing any farther ,

basically there are two rivets going through the mechanism to the terminations (rivetted also ) at the back of the insulator - mechanism mount .
anyone succesfully been inside a temp guage ? Pictur58
these would need to be opened up before the mechanism could be removed ,,,

the movement is a mooving iron type and i can see some movement forwards aft of the needle drive shaft .

anyone succesfully been inside a temp guage ? Fuel_g10

i think this is my problem, as the iron core would certainly change its location within the coil (magnetic drive part) ....and in turn react differently to the rest state ...for me this equates to the needle violently changing its position ...and in fact when it swings through about 80 odd degrees tries to climb off the dial to a new home location ...if that makes sence ( indicating at about another 90 degrees further past the end of the dial as it would normally do )

the "movement" including the return springs is mounted deep in behind all the coils and i havent got the steady hand or eyes to do more than what i have . i suspect that there is a rear end jewel mechism -bearing that hold the needle drive in place and needs a little tweek to take up the movement in the armature .

the rolled edge of the meter is a bugger to get apart ...so i used some sidecutters to pry the edge away from the retaining clip-edge of the meter body ,,,,,it should press back together ok i guess ,,,i think ill use a flat type punch to do that

anyone succesfully been inside a temp guage ? Fuel_m10

i have made a bid on ebay for a motometer brand temp guage ...hopefully will come good and ill have a replacement , with a little finessing (soldering) of the input wires

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
verry hard to get the face back on without some damage ...

there has to be a crimping tool for this im sure .

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Here is how one at a german forum have dampened an erratic needle on a fuel gauge
with aid of a capacitor.

I bit late I know, but maybe worth a try if you don`t get the instrument apart (or the problem continues
with a new instrument).

Inge K.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hmm worth a try inge that capacitor would certainly slow up any changes to the voltage references .

thanks for the link

one of the issues i have is if i flick the needle past about 90 % of its moovement ...it wants to settle off scale higher than the movement is suposed to operate ....a gentle tap restores damped movement bacl to zero ...or guage reading . so its primarily a mechanical fault ...i recon the hair spring location loading position has mooved somewhat

by the way there is already a capacitor mounted inside the guage and glued to the top part of the mount of the mechanism its that black blob top leftish off the terminations ...i would guess about a 220 uf by the size of it anyone succesfully been inside a temp guage ? Pictur59

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
You can buy almost any other gauge, as long as it has the same temp scale, is for 12v and will indicate 90 degrees C if the sensor has a resistance of 50 Ohm. I have installed a VDO with temperature grading, which works like a charm. I checked it with an infrared temp gun and the indication is spot-on.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland anyone succesfully been inside a temp guage ? Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
thanks rene ....

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum