BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Hello from Northern Ireland Empty Hello from Northern Ireland Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:53 am

Lawson

Hello All.

I've just bought a 1984 K100RS with about 55000 miles on the clock. My first BMW much to my brothers delight - he has been riding a GS 1150 for years. The previous owner had just done an oil change and some other maintenance.

I read about these bikes being a bit smokey on start up when left on the side stand so didn't worry too much when it smoked yesterday morning. However when I made a sharp left turn a few miles from home and gunned it up the road all behind me was obliterated in a cloud of smoke with following cars having to slow down to make their way through the smoke screen! I checked the oil level and the window with the circle and the dot was all oil.

When I got home yesterday I decided to drain out the oil and refill it to the correct level on the window - info that I got from this forum - very useful. So oil drained and out came about 7 litres! I refilled the oil - about 3.5 litres back in and level where it should be on the window. The result - enough oil left over for the next oil change!!!

Anyway - lovely bike and soo smooooooth.

Lawson.

2Back to top Go down   Hello from Northern Ireland Empty Re: Hello from Northern Ireland Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:14 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Greetings Lawson welcome to the forum. That much oil will make it smoke regardless of where you leave it. We say that the bit of smoke is just marking its territory.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Hello from Northern Ireland Empty Re: Hello from Northern Ireland Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:54 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
welcome lawson, hope your having fun...there a great beast indeed

4Back to top Go down   Hello from Northern Ireland Empty Re: Hello from Northern Ireland Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:46 am

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Lawson, from south of the border. Here's a very useful Article for new K bike owners. Lots of help, advice and banter on here.
88KE

5Back to top Go down   Hello from Northern Ireland Empty Re: Hello from Northern Ireland Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:47 am

g35corona

g35corona
Silver member
Silver member
Welcome aboard Lawson. You will enjoy your K and the folks on this forum.

;BMW;

ex:1986 K100 RT Vin #0091835

2012 R1200 GS

6Back to top Go down   Hello from Northern Ireland Empty Re: Hello from Northern Ireland Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:42 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome. I too recently bought an old K100RS and have enjoyed getting to know her by way of doing the neglected/poorly executed maintenance. It's been fun, but now I'm ready for some favorable weather so we can hit the road together!

7Back to top Go down   Hello from Northern Ireland Empty Re: Hello from Northern Ireland Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:22 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Lawson
I am guilty of the exact same thing except just 6 litres. It came about by me not being able to see through the oil glass, and I was thinking it was empty, and the fact I am an idiot of course.
You will enjoy the journey.
RT

8Back to top Go down   Hello from Northern Ireland Empty Re: Hello from Northern Ireland Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:18 pm

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome aboard Lawson - lots of info for you here Wink

9Back to top Go down   Hello from Northern Ireland Empty Re: Hello from Northern Ireland Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:41 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome aboard Lawson! Always wanted to visit your part of the world, but haven't got a chance as of yet...

OG

10Back to top Go down   Hello from Northern Ireland Empty Re: Hello from Northern Ireland Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:09 pm

Lawson

Thanks everyone for your welcome. I read through the article which 88KE recommended. Pretty comprehensive but I think I will get to know the bike first before tearing it down.

Maybe not the right place to ask but the drive shaft splines lubrication thing seems to be a big issue. With the engine stopped and the bike in gear what backlash would you expect at the rear wheel? Is excessive backlash an indicator of problems?

Lawson.

11Back to top Go down   Hello from Northern Ireland Empty Re: Hello from Northern Ireland Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:25 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Lawson,
It seems, from this forum, that 50mm backlash measured at the tyre is considered OK.
Cheers,
Paul.

12Back to top Go down   Hello from Northern Ireland Empty Re: Hello from Northern Ireland Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:49 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Lawson,
Great to have you with us. The overfill is exactly why when one has bought a second-hand bike it is a good idea to do a full service with all the prescribed lubricants, filters etc. so you know it is right. Well done for diagnosing the overfill.
Regards,
K-BIKE

13Back to top Go down   Hello from Northern Ireland Empty Re: Hello from Northern Ireland Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:26 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the forum. You better keep all that extra oil as the price of oil will go up very son. The bike will now be lighter and therefore faster.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum