BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

bobgass

bobgass
Silver member
Silver member
Got the rear off the bike to do the output spline lube and taking the tranny off this morning.

I don't see it in Clymer, but does anyone here recommend the use of some 'gasket in a tube' product between bell housing and the gearbox to help keep out moisture, etc OR between the final drive and the swingarm?

Bike has behaved well so far, no frozen nuts (on the bike) or seized screws. Using anti-seize on all threads upon rebuild. Electrics all look good except for ground connection to battery which was quite corroded.

Bob

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Nothing needed between the gearbox and engine just make sure the faces are clean but by the sounds of your posts I think that would happen as a matter of course.
The faces on the final drive just a smear of silicone or similar.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
Hi there, as far as I know these are structural joints, metal surfaces need to be clean and undistorted, for a perfect contact and bearing stress transmission. So there can be no gaskets. The aligning dovels are critical to assure the alignment.
Best regards
JAP

bobgass

bobgass
Silver member
Silver member
All back together now, might be time to replace that battery, which started acting up after I put things back together. Hope it's merely coincidence and not 'operator error'.

Thanks for replies.

Bob

5Back to top Go down   Gasket seal between FD/swingarm or between tranny/bell housing Empty Lots of bits on the magnetic plug? Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:52 pm

bobgass

bobgass
Silver member
Silver member
Took this image of the magnetic drain plug for the gearbox.

Does this seem like a lot of debris? Bike has 18500 miles. Last changed gearbox oil about 5000 miles ago.
Dunno. It just seemed like a lot of metal . . .
Gasket seal between FD/swingarm or between tranny/bell housing Gearbo11

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I would not be concerned about that unless you can feel any coarse particles or slivers of metal. The magnetic field will make the fine dust appear like that but I think you will find it is just very fine particles. The magnet is doing its job very well.
Clean it and replace the oil again after 1000miles and I reckon you will find it is quite good.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

bobgass

bobgass
Silver member
Silver member
Those spikes are tiny slivers of metal, and yes, I'll grind a gear or two occasionally after the false-neutral downshift event. I'm hoping it's just a result of 'operator error' and not a larger unpreventable issue.

No noticeable diminishing of performance as far as I can tell--could this be part of the 'run-in' process?

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I would now clean the magnet and change the oil and check it in 1000Miles and see how it is. I would not take any action immediately but if that amount of metal continues then I would certainly check it futher.
It could be part of the "run in" process but I would not expect there to be that much after 5000 miles and at least two changes of oil.

bobgass

bobgass
Silver member
Silver member
OK, Rick. I'll check it again in a while and see what it looks like. To be fair, there was a lot of powdery mush on the magnet, but some slivers, as well.

We have had some spell of very warm weather (to counterbalance the cold wet winter in Europe) so it shouldn't be too tough to get some more miles in soon. Still would be running the snowblower in a normal winter, but the leaves are starting to pop out on some trees now--amazing, in a good way!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum