BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   K100RS throttle cable blues Empty K100RS throttle cable blues Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:34 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
I own a 1985 K100RS. There is no obvious (to me) way to detach the throttle cable from the twist grip mechanism. I thought by removing the front brake master cylinder I would discover a place where the separation could be made, but no joy Rolling Eyes The geared wheel affair with the bit of chain cannot be lifted out of the throttle housing either.
There doesn't seem to be any description of this replacement procedure in the Haynes manual I have, and I have exhausted my ideas.
I'm stumped. Who was it that claimed it's easy to work on these bikes, anyway? After an entire afternoon in oppressive heat trying to sort this out, I'm about ready to throw in the towel and stick with my Airhead -- something a simple shade tree mechanic can make sense of. scratch

2Back to top Go down   K100RS throttle cable blues Empty Re: K100RS throttle cable blues Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:44 pm

As far as I can remember, you have to pull the entire assembly apart. The nipple at the end of the cable mounts into the chain a the inside end. I think..Been awhile.

3Back to top Go down   K100RS throttle cable blues Empty Re: K100RS throttle cable blues Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:34 am

walfish

walfish
Life time member
Life time member
There is a small plate on the top just to the left of the grip secured with a Phillips screw(big), the plate needs to be lifted off., it is a bit tricky. I removed the screw used a small screwdriver to wiggle it out.

92 K 1100 LT  6455097 (gone)

4Back to top Go down   K100RS throttle cable blues Empty Re: K100RS throttle cable blues Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:21 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Indeed, take the top plate next to the master cylinder of. It is hooked a bit under the part that holds the switches (1 screw). If you have the plate off you look on top of the little gearwheel with the chain attached. Lift the gearwheel out. Now open up the fuel rack manually (stick a screw driver under it or similar and the end of the cable on top will push the chain away (you can help it by opening the throttle. the top end of the cable is a square bit that falls into a part at the end of the chain, you can disconnect it there.
After replacing the cable, once you've guided the top end through the 'master cylinder channel' connect the gearwheel chain and slowly release the fuel rack; this will take out the slack. Once fitting back the gearwheel make sure the line on the wheel and in the grip face up. Easy job, seriously.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland K100RS throttle cable blues Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

5Back to top Go down   K100RS throttle cable blues Empty Re: K100RS throttle cable blues Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:02 am

yankeeone

Platinum member
Platinum member
you may need an update kit , the motor end of the cable needs a different bracket .

6Back to top Go down   K100RS throttle cable blues Empty Re: K100RS throttle cable blues Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:33 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
I've managed to free the cable. I misspoke earlier when I said I'd removed the brake m/c. Actually I had only wrestled the fluid reservoir from the assembly. Today I removed the m/c itself which allowed me at last get at that link which hold the cable nipple. What a lot of work to change a cable!
Can you tell us more about the undated bracket on the engine end of the throttle cable?

7Back to top Go down   K100RS throttle cable blues Empty Re: K100RS throttle cable blues Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:41 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP

8Back to top Go down   K100RS throttle cable blues Empty Re: K100RS throttle cable blues Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:19 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
Many thanks, Inge K. Very Happy

9Back to top Go down   K100RS throttle cable blues Empty Re: K100RS throttle cable blues Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:49 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
there is a different adjuster assembly for the later cables also ....fits at the bars end and into the the chain retainer area ...consists of a nut a threaded adjuster and a flange

just a heads up

oops just saw inges link ....its got it all in there

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum