BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Output Shaft Seal Empty Output Shaft Seal Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:33 am

JonnyE

Hi,

Having finally managed to remove the clutch housing, I'm now trying to replace the output shaft seal. I've tried bending the end of a screwdriver into a hook, and prising it out - no chance. I have a slide hammer but no attachments to do the job, such as a self tapping screw or a hook attachment. I'm struggling to find these attachments in NZ without buying another complete slide hammer set. I read on the net that a way to remove seals is to screw in a self tapping screw until it hits whatever is behind, keep going and it will push out the seal. However, this seems a bit risky since I don't know what is behind the seal - could be the balls of the bearing. Has anyone managed to get this seal out without spending a fortune on tools? Thanks.

2Back to top Go down   Output Shaft Seal Empty Re: Output Shaft Seal Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:48 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I just use a big screwdriver and a small block of wood to lever on so I don't damage the aluminium and heave, some I have found have been glued in but they all come out like that. Just be careful not to get the end of the screwdriver on the case and gouge the recess.
You can buy a seal remover tool that has a similar action to the claw of a claw hammer

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Output Shaft Seal Empty Re: Output Shaft Seal Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:52 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
A self tapping screw, close to the outer circumference is proven metod.

But instead of screw it in untill it bottoms....use the screw to pull the seal out....I`ve made fork shaped hook to be used with a slide hammer, for this.

More than one hole at the outer circ. is needed sometimes.

4Back to top Go down   Output Shaft Seal Empty Re: Output Shaft Seal Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:13 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Here you got a picture of tools used for both methods:

Output Shaft Seal Simrin10

5Back to top Go down   Output Shaft Seal Empty Output shaft seal removal Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:34 am

JonnyE

Thanks very much for your suggestions.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum