BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Fell over plus Empty Fell over plus Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:06 am

BillOwens

BillOwens
Well it had to happen
Now I know why the dealer dropped it and the transport company dropped it. I just took it for a good ride, everything fixed, get home, try to put side stand down to get off, bike goes forward and falls over, 1damaged fairing again.
After cooling down I had a closer look, the springs don't want to let side stand go fully forward, hence it goes forward and falls Any ideas out there?
Secondly speedo and gear indicator read true in kph, but the manual trip odometer is way slow, acting like its in miles covered, not kilometres as it should
Thanks for any help in advance! Fell over plus 259495

2Back to top Go down   Fell over plus Empty Re: Fell over plus Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:23 am

The solution to the falling over in the carpark syndrome is of course to put a chair on it! Fell over plus 2902375421

Both the odometer and tripmeter get a bit dodgy with age, ( sounds like me) and can read randomly or sporadically or stop altogether. Do a search here as there are plenty of threads about this topic and how to repair or have repaired.

Sean.

3Back to top Go down   Fell over plus Empty Re: Fell over plus Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:57 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
BillOwens wrote:Well it had to happen
Now I know why the dealer dropped it and the transport company dropped it. I just took it for a good ride, everything fixed, get home, try to put side stand down to get off, bike goes forward and falls over, 1damaged fairing again.
After cooling down I had a closer look, the springs don't want to let side stand go fully forward, hence it goes forward and falls Any ideas out there?
Secondly speedo and gear indicator read true in kph, but the manual trip odometer is way slow, acting like its in miles covered, not kilometres as it should
Thanks for any help in advance! Fell over plus 259495

There are 2 types of side stand one that needs the weight of the bike on
it to prevent it from retracting and the other that locks down
regardless. You apparently have the former. You aren't the first to have this happen they are a fair Pain ITA
There
is a small half moon bracket that holds the top of the springs that
makes the difference and the pivot bolt has a longer unthreaded spigot
on the end this is to prevent the springs going past centre and
stopping the stand from holding down by itself.

If you get the other type of half moon bracket which is a bit deeper and remove the spigot from the end of the bolt it will solve the problem.
I would reckon that a man that restores bikes would be able to make one of those half moon thingies.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   Fell over plus Empty Re: Fell over plus Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:14 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
the other problem is the auto retract mechanism bill (if fitted )

if you held the clutch in whilst deploying the sidestand ...it may not have gone out full motion past the swing back point

i have in fact failed with this manuver a couple of times ...before deactivating that clutch arm -sidestand link

hope you find it mate

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   Fell over plus Empty Re: Fell over plus Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:32 pm

the.postman

Life time member
Life time member
I don't know what the hills are like in Bushfield, but always try to park your bike facing up one. Gravity can be a great friend when you have dodgy side stand issues

1985 K100 RS   104EA49840092        #0081788     SILVERish (Madison) Prod. date 05/12/84
1984 srx 600
1986 cbr1000f/h

6Back to top Go down   Fell over plus Empty Re: Fell over plus Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:09 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Shades of the old Vincent with a self retracting side stand when you took the weight off, it flipped back up and then it was over to you to hold it up, BTDT gives you a fright when it happens the first time and you are standing alongside and was just looking to move the bike a bit.
Regards,
K-BIKE

7Back to top Go down   Fell over plus Empty Re: Fell over plus Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:38 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
All this about the funny self retracting stand, reminds me.....

Years back I was with some friends at a cottage in the mountains, parked along the road at the right side and the because of the curvature of the road the bike was almost straight up.......and it was a very step slope along the side of the road.

Sunday, time to leave for home....put a bag in the left pannier, just to find out that the space was a bit limited.....

Then the brain went on holiday.... open the lid, crouch down a bit and start to push the bag rather rough.......
At the same moment I pushed the bike away from me to the slope affraid .....
grabbed the seat (I think) and pulled all that I was able to........
and in the same moment I did hear the sidestand slamming against the silencer. affraid

Somehow I did manage to keep the bike upright.........still wonder how........but pheeew that was close :pale: :pale: :pale:

8Back to top Go down   Fell over plus Empty Re: Fell over plus Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:27 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
eeeeek !!!! affraid close call inge cheers

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

9Back to top Go down   Fell over plus Empty Re: Fell over plus Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:26 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
It sure doesn't pay to face downhill when you park, A mate and I went to the Bretti rally parked my triumph and he pulled up beside me R100rt, we walked over to the tent to get our badges and his bike came with us, rolled forward off the centrestand, what an uproar as it landed on its side beside me, addled abit i watched as people came from everywhere to right it,So ever the willing to act a goat i reached over and patted it on the bellypan and said out loud, friendly little critter, wants a tummy rub. didnt that take out half the help as they couldn't believe someone would say that. Mate was alittle pissed as well. weren't I a rascal.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

10Back to top Go down   Fell over plus Empty Side stand fixed Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:16 am

BillOwens

BillOwens
I didn't give it a belly rub, I told her off!
Rick was right, I just cut the end off the bolt, now it swings fully forward and front of two springs is over centre and holds stand in place
Yep I always park uphil!
Now fixing mirror (sand and reprint)
Lower panel has cracks, sanded back, gouged pout cracks and will fibreglass resin, sand and reprint
Thanks for help again

11Back to top Go down   Fell over plus Empty Re: Fell over plus Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:37 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
With regard to the cluster one of the problems with our instrument clusters is water gets inside and that corrodes the contacts, well worth opening it up and treating every electrical contact with DeoxIT which will ensure all contacts are as clean as they can be. Then seal it up, I wrote an small piece on sealing the cluster search for "LED Lights in the Instrument Pod, Plus Sealing out the Moisture" The other contributors to the thread had some great suggestions, so do read through all the comments from the guys.

The great thing about this list is no matter who writes something there is almost always someone who comes along with an absolutely excellent piece of additional information to add to the the whole thereby making it a great resource for fixing our bikes. Thanks to Crazy Frog and the rest of you guys and gals this is the best site to learn how to do things on our bikes and also a wonderful place to read about the most amazing trips to far flung places.
Regards,
K-BIKE

12Back to top Go down   Fell over plus Empty Re: Fell over plus Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:36 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
K-BIKE wrote:Shades of the old Vincent with a self retracting side stand when you took the weight off, it flipped back up and then it was over to you to hold it up, BTDT gives you a fright when it happens the first time and you are standing alongside and was just looking to move the bike a bit.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sorry, K-bike, standard Vincents NEVER had a self retracting sidestand.

Paul.

13Back to top Go down   Fell over plus Empty Re: Fell over plus Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:55 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
sidecar paul wrote:
K-BIKE wrote:Shades of the old Vincent with a self retracting side stand when you took the weight off, it flipped back up and then it was over to you to hold it up, BTDT gives you a fright when it happens the first time and you are standing alongside and was just looking to move the bike a bit.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sorry, K-bike, standard Vincents NEVER had a self retracting sidestand.

Paul.

Must have been a special then on the one that caught me out, I had a very anxious few moments because I had stood far enough away to push the bike upright to take the weight off and then roll it forward and when the side stand flipped up as soon as the weight came off I was not ready for that and was caught off guard. Ok once you got used to it but not my favourite idea. I think the side stand on my Goldwing was the best idea since if one left that down it had about an 1nch of rubber that bent out of the way when the weight was on but if it was left down down when I moved off when I came to a turn the rubber touched the ground first, caught and flipped it up very smartly. I only did it a couple of times over the years.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum