BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Faulty hazard switch Empty Faulty hazard switch Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:14 pm

DeRodster

DeRodster
Life time member
Life time member
Not the first time this has happened.
I previously took note when others had similar problem's.
So I had a looksee this evening and
first I noted corrosion on the middle which subsequently broke off, then I managed to gently prise open the bottom of the switch.
Lots of corrosion and dirt..see the photos

Faulty hazard switch Bmw_ha10

Faulty hazard switch Bmw_ha11

and so its out with the grease and the soldering iron

bcnu
Rod

1974 Triumph 3TA / 5TA
1974 Honda 100
1969 Honda 50

2Back to top Go down   Faulty hazard switch Empty Re: Faulty hazard switch Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:12 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I had to fix mine last week it was in much the same condition.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Faulty hazard switch Empty Re: Faulty hazard switch Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:17 am

DeRodster

DeRodster
Life time member
Life time member
And I am now wondering what state the others are in. Wouldn't you wonder how they could end up in such a state !

1974 Triumph 3TA / 5TA
1974 Honda 100
1969 Honda 50

4Back to top Go down   Faulty hazard switch Empty Re: Faulty hazard switch Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:39 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
20 years of wanton neglect will do wonders for them. Mine is ex police and they ride and service and what happens after that they dont care, BMW would prefer you threw it out after 3 more years and bought another one. At least with the BMWs you can get the switches apart to fix them. With a Japaneese bike the only they come apart is to hit them with a big hammer.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

5Back to top Go down   Faulty hazard switch Empty Re: Faulty hazard switch Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:06 am

DeRodster

DeRodster
Life time member
Life time member
Story of our disposable times I guess. Problem is BMW built em too well ;-)

Have you had to work on any of the other one's I wonder ?

1974 Triumph 3TA / 5TA
1974 Honda 100
1969 Honda 50

6Back to top Go down   Faulty hazard switch Empty Re: Faulty hazard switch Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:14 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The Hazzard switch was the only one of the four that worked when I got the bike and all were wires broken from the back tags as well as being dirty and corroded.
The bike was serviced by the BMW dealer in Sydney for the last 90,000klm and it was a big heap of $*^t, previous to that it was a Federal Police bike from Canberra. So much for how the dealer serviced bikes will always be tip top bikes.
I heard it said once that if you have the dealer service the vehicle at its recommended intervals then it is being seriously neglected. Never has a truer word been spoken.

7Back to top Go down   Faulty hazard switch Empty Re: Faulty hazard switch Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:37 am

DeRodster

DeRodster
Life time member
Life time member
Very good.
I better check the other's so.
amazing what these guys get away with.

R

1974 Triumph 3TA / 5TA
1974 Honda 100
1969 Honda 50

8Back to top Go down   Faulty hazard switch Empty Re: Faulty hazard switch Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:17 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I worked for Honda Australia for some time in the 80s and some of the short cuts we were expected to make were appauling.
Like a major cam shaft failure on the V4 s (very common untill Honda made mods and a recall) the engine was full of aluminium flakes and we were told not to do a teardown and clean. About 1 in 4 came back again but they were regarded as a different warranty claim as far as the factory was concerned. That was not Honda's attitude but the workshop manager who was expected to turn a proffit doing mainly warranty repairs, can't be done it's a break even at best.
Suzuki were a lot better in that regard but seriously cut corners with servicing and charged the customers top dollar.

9Back to top Go down   Faulty hazard switch Empty Re: Faulty hazard switch Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:17 am

DeRodster

DeRodster
Life time member
Life time member
Hey Rick,
Amazing what goes on behind closed doors.
One of the reasons I do my own servicing work where possible.

Getting back to our switch problem, I note there is not a lot of slack in the loom , making it a little tight trying to resolder that broken cable.
Is it possible to free up the loom a bit....
I would prefer not to leave a melt mark due to hot iron on the plastic handlebar/switch cover.
I was also thinking of adding a small piece of wire to each of the 3 already there to make access a little easier...

What do you think ?

R

1974 Triumph 3TA / 5TA
1974 Honda 100
1969 Honda 50

10Back to top Go down   Faulty hazard switch Empty Re: Faulty hazard switch Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:10 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
There isn't much slack in any wires I ended up extending the wires on the electric screen by 3 inches as it was next to impossible to get in and out.
I think their toes would fall of if they gave an extra few inches of wire away the stingy buggers.

11Back to top Go down   Faulty hazard switch Empty Re: Faulty hazard switch Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:39 am

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Automotive manufacturers spend great sums of money figuring out the minimum quantities of everything on a vehicle because of the savings. Saving an inch of wire might translate into hundreds of thousands of dollars of cost savings during manufacture given the quantity of vehicles of a given model produced. Mind you, the manufacturing numbers for the K100 are insignificant relative to the numbers produced of any given BMW automobile. All the same, BMW realizes savings by being a Scrooge on materials.

12Back to top Go down   Faulty hazard switch Empty Re: Faulty hazard switch Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:12 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Cost saving is a good thing and is what makes them competitive but being downright stingy to the point of making maintenance difficult to impossible and neglecting to do the manfacturers recommended maintenance is another thing entirely.

13Back to top Go down   Faulty hazard switch Empty Re: Faulty hazard switch Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:23 pm

DeRodster

DeRodster
Life time member
Life time member
So just got it cleaned, soldered, greased and re-assembled.
Wohoo we have flashers.

Now to tackle the other ones

R ;-)

1974 Triumph 3TA / 5TA
1974 Honda 100
1969 Honda 50

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum