BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Location of VIN Empty Location of VIN Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:40 pm

klamityboy

klamityboy
Gold member
Gold member
I was wondering if someone can tell me where to find the VIN on my K75RT? I found the frame number near the brake reservoir on the right hand side of the bike. I apparently have a VIN number as my insurance docs list it but I cannot find it.

Thanks in advance

2Back to top Go down   Location of VIN Empty Re: Location of VIN Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:20 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
That frame number should be the VIN...??

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

3Back to top Go down   Location of VIN Empty Re: Location of VIN Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:40 am

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
club_c wrote:That frame number should be the VIN...??
Yes. They are one and the same.

Sometimes the fact that manufacturers used to drop the repeating part of the VIN from the stamping so it is shorter than that recorded on the paperwork can lead to confusion.

The VIN is broken down into three sections: The first three characters are the World Manufacturer Indicator, the next seven are the Vehicle Descriptor and the last seven are the Unique Reference.

Before the international agreement was tightened up, some manufacturers just used to stamp (or engrave) the last section (with security markers either side).

4Back to top Go down   Location of VIN Empty Re: Location of VIN Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:43 pm

klamityboy

klamityboy
Gold member
Gold member
Thanks guys. A combination of road grime obscuring much of what you correctly pointed out was the VIN and figure 24 from the clymer manual excerpted below, seem to have led me astray.

Location of VIN Cylmer10

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum