BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

101Back to top Go down   Idle increase when hot - Page 3 Empty Idle increase when hot Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:46 pm

RT

Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Renez, I used a sliding measuring aparatus to figure out where things were different, I'm a bit confused by the adjustment screw between No.3 and 4, as it looks like it will adjust both butterflies if I moved the screw
, Must be some technical knowhow required, but I'll have a go on the spare set first.

Daintree rick? geez louise that's along way. I just was after some sun.

102Back to top Go down   Idle increase when hot - Page 3 Empty Idle increase when hot -sorted Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:01 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
How many different things can be wrong at once.
After cleaning and lubing the T/B bits, and replacing them, resealing the upper and lower rubbers, new screw clamps I put it all back together, and no change, still idling high. Bummer.
Have a real good look Robert. One lower manifold rubber clamp was inhibiting No.4 injector from sealing correctly, pull off and re adjust. Still the idle screw sitting high and choke light stays on. Re adjust and move a top rubber clamp, light off. Get out book, re set the "choke" cable clearance on idle screw, throttle on, throttle bar not closing down. What the flaming hell. Check me old mate the TPS. Take it off, have a good look at the way if fits onto the butterfly opening bar, and viola, someone earlier than me has forced the TPS on without taking regard of the flat bit that positions it correctly, and it has been holding the idle screw open all this time.
 There have been many suggestions for me to look at this earlier but I just readjusted the "click" each time without taking the whole mechanism off.

So together with fixing up all the air leaks and finding and fixing this problem, I've had a fair test run today in traffic and roadworks, idling at 950/975ish all day.

I'm off for a long run as soon as I can, but feel confident that it has settled down.

Thanks to everyone who had suggestions, it's a great forum, and I'm sure I'll be need more help again but this one looks like being over.
Regards to all
RT

103Back to top Go down   Idle increase when hot - Page 3 Empty Re: Idle increase when hot Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:06 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Idle increase when hot - Page 3 723598     huzzah !!!!!   at last you have found it  Idle increase when hot - Page 3 723598 

great news bob ....and finally you have the reward of saying.... I did this, myself ...

Idle increase when hot - Page 3 502531  from up here

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

104Back to top Go down   Idle increase when hot - Page 3 Empty Re: Idle increase when hot Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:23 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Fantastic news RT!  That was interesting that the TPS orientation was off yet the function appeared to be correct.

105Back to top Go down   Idle increase when hot - Page 3 Empty Idle increase when hot Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:57 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Yes robmnack, I was able to get the little click. What actually happen was I put a spare TPS on which hadn't been used for 15 years, and it was rigid, wouldn't turn at all and stuck the throttle rail open every time I twisted the throttle. So I took it off and it made me wonder about if there was a similar but smaller problem with  the original. Aftertook it off  the throttle rail dropped straight down to close properly, I was able to screw the idle screw way out and the rail dropped to the stop each time. So after having a look at the TPS where the rail fits it, it was all mangled in there and it appears to have been forced on in the past at an incorrect angle, keeping the rail open as if the "choke" was always engaged. I have had massive problems trying to adjust the choke lift in the past, was always way too high.

For a change, I'm a happy chappy, now for the new Gear Position Switch, clutch plate and looks like some sort of front seal leak. It never ends, but thanks again to everyone on this.
RT

106Back to top Go down   Idle increase when hot - Page 3 Empty Re: Idle increase when hot Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:50 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Well look at you being all mechanical and hands on.

Guess you'll be wanting to get that gearbox off next and do the clutch?

Good work on finding the problem. 
Who wudda thought some previous owner would have no clue on the operating intricacies of the TPS.

Be cool

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

107Back to top Go down   Idle increase when hot - Page 3 Empty Re: Idle increase when hot Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:58 pm

Basic2

Basic2
Platinum member
Platinum member
Good news RT!
The old "mangled by previous owner" trick.

108Back to top Go down   Idle increase when hot - Page 3 Empty Idle increase when hot Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:20 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
I got to blame somebody, couldn't possibly have been me. I wasn't there, didn't do it.etc.
Thanks rossko, now to get those clutch plates and stuff ordered. New thread, how to stuff up a clutch plate
changeover.

109Back to top Go down   Idle increase when hot - Page 3 Empty Re: Idle increase when hot Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:28 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
it cant happen bob ...you have seen so many by now ...

good luck !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

110Back to top Go down   Idle increase when hot - Page 3 Empty Idle increase when hot Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:35 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Charlie, hope to catch up soon mate.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum