BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   White smoke? Empty White smoke? Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:39 am

al_manjawi

al_manjawi
Hi all,

Why the white smoke is going out from my exhaust when i turned on my k100rs enjine.after 4 to 5 second it's gone..it's happen when i used side stand.... White smoke? Icon_scratch White smoke? Icon_scratch White smoke? Icon_scratch

2Back to top Go down   White smoke? Empty Re: White smoke? Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:55 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi There,
This is considered a common occurrence on the earlier K bikes which yours is. Later bikes had the piston rings pegged to keep them in the same position whereas yours are free to rotate around the piston.

At times (and sometimes all the time) enough ring gaps align so that a little oil seeps past the piston/s into the combustion chamber. That is the traditional explanation of why it happens, I have not compared the ring sets between the early and late pistons but would not be surprised to find they had also improved the design of the oil control ring slightly.

Anyway as the slippery admen would say - it's not a fault it's a feature Very Happy

Don't get concerned if it goes away quickly after starting, but if it starts to smoke at other times and your oil consumption increases then you have a problem that needs to be looked at.
Regards,
K-BIKE

3Back to top Go down   White smoke? Empty Re: White smoke? Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:14 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
I never park my K100 on the side stand. I always put it on the center stand otherwise it will smoke when I start it.
This is prevalent if the bike is hot when you put it on the side stand. the oil is more "liquid" and will find any crack to sip in.
The K100 pistons and rings "feature" was corrected in 1988 by the addition of a locating pin for the rings on the pistons.

4Back to top Go down   White smoke? Empty Re: White smoke? Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:27 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
I forgot to add that if it bothers you and you don't want to use the main centre stand there are a couple of things you can do that make a difference for most people, first is when you stop keep the bike upright whilst you sit astride it taking off your gloves etc. then lean the bike over to the right for ten seconds or so so the oil is helped to run down into the sump. Then when you stand it back up and put down the side stand it usually will not smoke (that is what friends who have early K's say) when you re-start. Mine as a 16 Valve does not smok as it has the pegged rings as Bert says.
Regards,
K-BIKE

5Back to top Go down   White smoke? Empty Re: White smoke? Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:22 am

al_manjawi

al_manjawi
owh....i understand...thanks to kbike n crazy frog...

6Back to top Go down   White smoke? Empty Re: White smoke? Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:48 am

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Just to add a little fuel to the fire so to speak and not to be an alarmist but the colour of the smoke from mine is very definitely blue oil smoke and can be quite significant and I was always under the impression white smoke was something else although the description of the "fault" fits the bill perfectly.

I have also read on other forums where the "feature" still exists even on the later K1200's (horizontal engines that is).

Regards,

Phil

7Back to top Go down   White smoke? Empty Re: White smoke? Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:03 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Phil is right about the color of the smoke.
Oil related is blue and water or dampness related is white.
Coolant could be seeping into the combustion chamber if the head gasket is leaking.
Coolant could also be mixed with the oil when the seal between the oil and water pump is leaking.
If you live in wet and damp area, it could be as simple as the dampness entering the exhaust system when the engine is stopped and turning to steam when the muffler is heating up.
Do you see any white cream seating on the top of your oil (looking at level sight glass)? Is your oil turning into a whitish color?

Have you checked for oil or water leak under the oil pump? There is a small hole under the engine (see picture below). If any water or oil is leaking there, the water pump will have to be overhauled. Be sure that this hole is not plugged. Use a Q-tip to clean it.

White smoke? Image004

8Back to top Go down   White smoke? Empty Re: White smoke? Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:22 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
I think the strongest clue is it only happens when the bike has been on the side stand not the main stand. If it was a water leak I believe it would be any time it was started from cold including on the centre stand, not just when it is on the side stand.
Regards,
K-BIKE

9Back to top Go down   White smoke? Empty Re: White smoke? Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:24 am

wikur

wikur
Silver member
Silver member
I once polluted an whole campsite with my old -86 RT
It was in the Italian alps and climbers and cyclists was enveloped in a blue haze while having breakfast.
If looks could kill !!!
Just flip down the visor and gently ride out of the camping with head held high.
Cheers,Wikur!

10Back to top Go down   White smoke? Empty Re: White smoke? Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:00 pm

al_manjawi

al_manjawi
Thanks all..agree with k-bike n i think it's better 4 me just using centre stand..

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum