BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

WandererK1

WandererK1
Silver member
Silver member
Hi all,

My K1 is in a lot of bits, getting TLC since i bought her, now i stripped out the fuel tank, pump, pipes, sponge anti slosh bits, fuel gauge sender an wiring,, ohhh an not forgetting the cap an lock assembly,
Wow lots of stuff, an that has left me with a nice light weight alum fuel tank, sooo tempted to start stripping paint and polish rite now to...

So i see mention of fuel pumps on here, and am wondering if anyone has converted to a out of tank pump set up..?
Why you ask, well Im looking at the fuel volume, Increasing it, and somehow don't like wire and power going into my wet fuel, add to that everything weighs a ton, an Im tempted to loose some of it...
Maybe new type pumps are smaller and much lighter, Im yet to find out...
Add to that the recent hassles Be Made had with his fuel cap lock, and maybe I will modify that area while Im in there...

So share your thoughts, good or bad.... Laughing
Cheers Jeremy

Be made

Be made
Life time member
Life time member
Personally I would leave it all as is standard.

You have a K1

Hopefully it has not been butchered and (me personally) hopefully it would stay that way

The setup BMW have created works well, My thoughts on this is why tinker with what is already going good. Aside from the filler cap shi#*ting itself and the pump seizing if left sitting in old fuel for ages I don't think there is any other known common issues with them

Don't worry about live wires down there, it is DC volts and apparently works dunked in petrol ok . . . lol. . . or we would all be off the road . . .. lol

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
+1 ...what he said Laughing 

Fuel tank and all the stuff inside it. 2855d1382366329-circumcision-flow-charts-problem-solving-flow-chart

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Fuel tank and all the stuff inside it. Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
I don't know...you Kiwis are tinkerers by nature. Perhaps you should go for it. Look at what John Britten did in his home garage. I watched Andrew Stroud on one of Britten's amazing bikes wheelying down the back straight at Daytona in '94. I turned round when someone said 'Goodoyna, Mr Britten', and there he was smiling and walking along the infield fence gaging the racing fans' reactions the one-two Britten V1000 win. Go ahead and fiddle. You never know what you might create. Be careful around external wires and petrol however, or it could be you doing a wheelie down your street, one hand on the throttle while the bike's ablaze in a fireball. I'm leaving mine inside the tank where they're safe and sound.

💣

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

nino

Life time member
Life time member
Jeremy, I didnt try with fuel pump out, but with fuel filter out from tank, just for easier maintenance. Cheers
https://www.k100-forum.com/t4285-fuel-filter-out

WandererK1

WandererK1
Silver member
Silver member
Ok thanks to all who responded, Surprised no one has done a outside tank pump, but hey, as Kaptain's flow chart shows, why F#$% with something working an proven, that did give me a good laugh by the way, so thx...
As my K1 is very much original, not messed with, and only 60k kilometers, I have NO intention of hacking an butchering, rather wish to preserve, and bring back to as new or near as i can, but thats for next year, for now its a full service, deep clean, and get on the road an enjoy... 

As talked about in another thread, I ordered a set of reconditioned Injectors from USA, they came to me in 4 days, so all the ducks must have aligned that week, was $99 usd, ended up costing me $132 kiwi in my hand, done through paypal, easy as and so convenient me thinks... Very Happy  
Aiming to get back onto the motor, wiring, and start some reassembly next week, so shall report on injectors in due corse...

Cheers Jeremy

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
WandererK1 wrote:
So i see mention of fuel pumps on here, and am wondering if anyone has converted to a out of tank pump set up..?
Why you ask, well Im looking at the fuel volume, Increasing it, and somehow don't like wire and power going into my wet fuel, add to that everything weighs a ton, an Im tempted to loose some of it...
Cheers Jeremy
Hi there, I use a generic fuel pump, intented for fuel injected engines of similar power similar power, almost all fuel injected systems runs under the original Bosh setpoints, as the pumps runs at constant pressure and flow, recirculating the non burned fuel.

• Moving the fuel filter out the tank may looks good, but the room youll need, having two more hig pressure connectios out of the tank for attending a filter you'll change once every two years, dont think is really worth.
  • Relocating the pump out of the tank, is, in my opinion, a no go. The gasoline wont ignite in absence of clean air, your ,tank is full of liquid and gaseous gasoline it just cant ignite. The pump refrigerates by bot the gasoline around and flowing trhu it, so youll need a special non comercial pump, that will be very expensive.

Best regards
JAP

WandererK1

WandererK1
Silver member
Silver member
japuentes wrote:
WandererK1 wrote:
Cheers Jeremy
Hi there, I use a generic fuel pump, intented for fuel injected engines of similar power similar power, almost all fuel injected systems runs under the original Bosh setpoints, as the pumps runs at constant pressure and flow, recirculating the non burned fuel.

• Moving the fuel filter out the tank may looks good, but the room youll need, having two more hig pressure connectios out of the tank for attending a filter you'll change once every two years, dont think is really worth.
  • Relocating the pump out of the tank, is, in my opinion, a no go. The gasoline wont ignite in absence of clean air, your ,tank is full of liquid and gaseous gasoline it just cant ignite. The pump refrigerates by bot the gasoline around and flowing trhu it, so youll need a special non comercial pump, that will be very expensive.

Best regards
JAP
Hi JAP,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and some things I had not thought of, for now is staying stock, just clean and new filter an hoses, later we shall see... Smile

Cheers Jeremy

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum