BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Where does my choke cable go? Empty Where does my choke cable go? Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:30 am

mook

mook
Silver member
Silver member
Morning,
Very cold here this morning, so I put the choke on for the (short) ride in to work.

When I got to work the engine was racing. It's my guess that something's frozen and stopping the choke from disengaging.
But I'm in the office, it's dark out side and I can't see where the other end of the choke cable goes.
I just want to get at it to soak it in wd40 or something to prevent freezing, or sort out whatever is stopping it.
The haynes manual is fairly useless interms of location of these items so I thought I'd ask here.

thanks

2Back to top Go down   Where does my choke cable go? Empty Re: Where does my choke cable go? Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:47 am

87m6chris

87m6chris
Silver member
Silver member
Mook,
reach in past the fuel rail on the left hand side of the engine
between the 1st and 2nd throtle bodies that will be the choke adjusting screw, push it down hard. Then maybe with one hand on the adjusting screw and the other on the choke lever move the cable back and forth to free it up.

PS, K75, the adjusting screw is between the 1st and 2nd TB
K100, the adjusting screw is between the 2nd and 3rd TB or the middle

3Back to top Go down   Where does my choke cable go? Empty Re: Where does my choke cable go? Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:55 am

mook

mook
Silver member
Silver member
Great, Thanks!!

(which way do I count throttle bodies? 1-4 front to rear or rear to front)

4Back to top Go down   Where does my choke cable go? Empty Re: Where does my choke cable go? Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:15 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Where does my choke cable go? Tb10

5Back to top Go down   Where does my choke cable go? Empty Re: Where does my choke cable go? Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:17 am

mook

mook
Silver member
Silver member
perfect.

thanks!

6Back to top Go down   Where does my choke cable go? Empty Re: Where does my choke cable go? Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:04 am

mook

mook
Silver member
Silver member
wait... who's right then? is it at the end or in the middle?

7Back to top Go down   Where does my choke cable go? Empty Re: Where does my choke cable go? Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:08 am

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
mook wrote:wait... who's right then? is it at the end or in the middle?

Hi there, as per Bert´s photo, in the end. Middle is for the trottle.
Best regards
JAP

8Back to top Go down   Where does my choke cable go? Empty Re: Where does my choke cable go? Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:24 am

87m6chris

87m6chris
Silver member
Silver member
Choke cable is at the end but the only way to move it is by the lever or
the adjusting screw that I can see.

9Back to top Go down   Where does my choke cable go? Empty Re: Where does my choke cable go? Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:00 am

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
87m6chris wrote:Choke cable is at the end but the only way to move it is by the lever or
the adjusting screw that I can see.
Hi, you use it by the lever and adjust the fast idle speed by the nuts at the cable engine side end. The screw at the middle is for the idle (non choked) speed.
For adjustings check the manuals at the download section
Best regards
JAP

10Back to top Go down   Where does my choke cable go? Empty Re: Where does my choke cable go? Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:14 pm

Sometimes the metal 'choke' cable end (it's really just a fast idle lever as there's nothing to choke) at the thumb lever will simply pop out of its holder and all it takes is a quick push of the cable end back in to get it back to normal. Often this is caused by the thumb lever not being screwed down tight enough against the left hand side lever assembly. Does the thumb lever have two nice, obvious detents when you operate it - when it's acting normally - or is it all sloppy? Pop the plastic cap off the thumb lever and check the tightness, then lube the lever with a good quality grease before putting the plastic cap back on. It's just one more thing to check before you decide it's the worst possible situation like a frozen or frayed cable or the throttle bodies binding up and not allowing the engine to return to a normal idle.

11Back to top Go down   Where does my choke cable go? Empty Re: Where does my choke cable go? Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:15 am

mook

mook
Silver member
Silver member
Two Wheels Better wrote:Sometimes the metal 'choke' cable end (it's really just a fast idle lever as there's nothing to choke) at the thumb lever will simply pop out of its holder and all it takes is a quick push of the cable end back in to get it back to normal.

Bingo!

I noticed thiswhen I got home last night, the cable was 'dragging' the sleeve out of the housing. lubed it up a bit and popped it back in and all seems to be well.

Will pop the top off and make sure everything's tight, there doesn't seem to be any detents, just one smooth movement.

12Back to top Go down   Where does my choke cable go? Empty Re: Where does my choke cable go? Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:18 am

Excellent! I'm glad it was the simple thing, as it usually is. I know because I have a tendency to expect the worst and am delighted when my cooler head prevails, I do a bit of hunt and peck diagnostics, and it comes up K.I.S.S. These bikes are good that way and this forum is an excellent source of all things wild and wonderful, re K bikes. Have you ever met a nicer mob of gentlemen? I grew weary of the forums where 'flaming' occurred on a regular basis. I do enjoy the anonymity that comes with an internet forum such as this, but also appreciate the like-minded attitudes that prevail here. Thanks again for providing it, Mr Fou Grenouille!

13Back to top Go down   Where does my choke cable go? Empty Re: Where does my choke cable go? Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:11 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
[quote=Thanks again for providing it, Mr Fou Grenouille![/quote]

Where does my choke cable go? Happyf10

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum