BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Folks,

I have looked at the various manuals but am a bit confused and would appreciate some real world advice on the steps needed to lift up or remove the fuel tank - whichever is required in order to inspect the wiring from the dash beneath. I want to replace a couple of rocker switches that have their connections, I believe beneath the tank and also do a general inspection of the wiring for damage/poor connections, corrosion etc.

Many thanks in advance

Dave

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Here is a "How to".

Inge K.

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
I found putting some rubber grease onto the rubber buffers at the front of the tank and in the parabola shaped positioning mounts on the frame made it easy to slide the rubber buffers in and out every time the tank has to come off. Rubber grease does not affect the rubber as it is based on vegetable oil not mineral oil.
Regards,
K-BIKE

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Inge, Thank you, that's ideal. I was hoping that I'd be able to leave the fuel system alone and this looks likley to be the case. Thanks also for the tip K-BIKE.

Best regards
Dave

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
For accessing the relay box I found that once released one can easily prop it up at an angle and work away in the relay box.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
When dealing with the different connectors under tank, it`s much better acces if you remove the tank completely.

Before you remove it, pull the fuse for the fuel pump and push the starter button untill it won`t combust......to relieve fuel pressure.

Inge K.

BriqueEiffel

Hi,
thanks for your question. So I learned too.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
can i add ....a really handy tip is to get a short length of 8mm internal diameter fuel hose (about a foot will do) doesnt really matter about the rating of this hose.

disconnect the fuel supply line after folowing all the suggestions

and put one end of the free fuel hose on the outlet ....with finger or thumb over the other end .....then block it somehow ..(screwdriver maybe ) and release the return fuel line .....quickly use the other (now blocked end ) end of the free hose to place on the return line ....this then gives you a sealed inlet and outlet fuel rail to the tank .....for easy removal and placement with out too much spillage

hope this helps

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
I'm just in the process of fitting some CPC quick fuel line connectors so that I can remove the tank easily. Leaving it propped up can cause scratches, in spite of being wrapped in towels,on the KRS fairing brackets (from experience).

Paul

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Paul,

If you install quick fuel line connectors, I would advise to extend the fuel lines toward the back of the fairing in order to remove the quick connector without having to remove the bottom panel of the fairing.
At least this is what you have to do on the RT.

CF

91 K100 RS 4V - lifting the tank enough to access wiring Frog1591 K100 RS 4V - lifting the tank enough to access wiring Logo2101986 k75, 1985 K100rt, 1985 K100rt/EML GT2 sidecar, 1999 K1200lt/Hannigan Astro Sport sidecar.

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
CF,

I,m using a 1/4BSP CPC connector on the return line. As I have early tanks, I've taken the ball valve fitting from a spare tank an tapped it 1/4BSP. This will keep the connector close to the tank and accessible. As for the pressure feed, I will have to see what space is available when I take the RS fairing Knee panels out.

Paul.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum