Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

rosskko

VIP
VIP
Thanks again Inge,
I had a quick look at the Beaver.
This looks like what I need.
Bed time here now, but I will look through the forums in the morning for more info.
Would it be wise in the mean time to disconnect one of the lights?

H4 Dual Headlight Relay Kit. This Kit is for bikes with dual fairing mounted H4 headlights

1986 K100RT ex police single seat Renno - Page 4 H4_dual

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
rossco wrote:Would it be wise in the mean time to disconnect one of the lights?

That wold be a smart move, to avoid switch problems...untill relays is mounted.

The hi/lo switch is the weak link in the light circuit, and is a common problem in our bikes....also with just the standard bulb.

And you have found just exactly the relay set that you need.

Halo

Halo
Life time member
Life time member
Oh well l tried

Last edited by Halo on Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total

tintock

tintock
Silver member
Silver member
I don't know how I missed this thread, but I did! Excellent read, rossco, and your bike is looking tip-top.

This site is like Santa's Grotto - it's so full of good stuff that I don't know what to look at next! Smile

By the way, Rossco, have you checked the wattage of your bulbs?
We were talking last night about your headlight and someone mentioned the possibility of English regulations requiring lesser wattage ....assuming you bought that set up from the UK?
Sean.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
rather than attempting to get the bever kit quick rossco ...just use one beam for the moment ol mate

if you dont succeed in obtaining and installing it before the bingara trip .....or maybe if you get it, but are tantative to install it ....bring it along ...and well do it sunday am .

just make sure that we can get the tank off ...or at least up a little bit .

from what i remember you dont have the fairings on so it should be easy to play around in there huh ?

just trying to help mate ...

looking good !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Thanks Sean and Charlie.
The globes are the same as my original. 60/55? I did put it in an earlier post.
It was bought from the UK.
I will pull one globe in the short term and get the beaver. I feel pretty confident installing the kit, but Halo that picture is Chinese to me. Might run your pic Halo past the electrical engineer at work and see if he wants to help.
Charlie, I will have better things to do on Sunday morning than fix one of my magnificent globes. Like searching the local chemist for a Berocca.
I do like the headlight(s) and the extra relay had not occurred to me.
You guys are great. Heading off problems before they are even realised by most.

As an aside, took my first pillion on the bike in 20 years. Had a single seat all that time.
My 17 year old daughter got a lift to work. The trip was about 4km. Halfway she says 'this is awesome'
She works at the local cinema. Dropped her at the door and got off the bike to grab her helmet. She says 'its ok. I will take it and you can pick me up later'
I am sure half of her joy was the trip on the bike and the other half was walking round with a helmet in her hand. I don't have to explain that part to you all.
Rossco

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

Life time member
Life time member
rossco wrote:My 17 year old daughter got a lift to work. The trip was about 4km. Halfway she says 'this is awesome'
She works at the local cinema. Dropped her at the door and got off the bike to grab her helmet. She says 'its ok. I will take it and you can pick me up later'
I am sure half of her joy was the trip on the bike and the other half was walking round with a helmet in her hand. I don't have to explain that part to you all.
Rossco

It's funny how parents can transition from being "Soooo embarrassing" to cool in such a short space of time. That wasn't a helmet she was carrying Rossco......it was street cred!

Well done bro !

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
rossco wrote:I feel pretty confident installing the kit, but Halo that picture is Chinese to me. Might run your pic Halo past the electrical engineer at work and see if he wants to help.

Halo`s drawing is basically the the same as you get from EB, but just showing the low beam part.

One difference is that on Halo`s drawing a double pole relay is used
(which really isn`t needed), the EB kits using single pole 20A relays.

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Thanks Inge but I think I have a problem. I put your reply into google translate and it came out just as you had typed it. Obviously google does not work from norwayish to English.
Still makes no sense to me. Guess I am on the hunt for some beaver.

K1100RS 0194321

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
If you prefer Norwegian, it`s making it much easier for me....

Takk Inge, men jeg tror jeg har et problem. Jeg satte svaret i google translate og det kom ut akkurat som du hadde skrevet det. Tydeligvis google fungerer ikke fra norwayish til engelsk.
Fortsatt gir ingen mening for meg. Tror jeg på jakt etter noen bever.

Last edited by Inge K. on Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Looks like you gotta go out huntin beaver again Rosco

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Good hunting...watch your legs....move all the time.

1986 K100RT ex police single seat Renno - Page 4 Bever_10

Halo

Halo
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Inge K I like the double pole relays as if one switch contact fails you still have a light on

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Hmm.....double pole relays should be used a lot more.....
since contact sets fails all the time.

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
I would like to say I am getting my head around this, but..

If I use the EB setup or make one like Halo's, I am guessing I plug in the male coupler into my existing female plug that is part of my existing wiring. This will then give me all the light settings I need using my switches.
My question is, I already have a headlight relay in the loop. Do I still use this (leave the bike wiring as it is) or does it get disconnected in favour of the 2 new relays or doesn't it matter?
Hopefully by the end of today I would have learnt something and another day won't have been wasted.

K1100RS 0194321

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
If you allready got a relay in the circuit, that isn`t needed anymore.

But, but, but, if you allready got a relay....you probably don`t need another set.

When you say one relay....it`s makes me curious...how is that wired?

Could be a switching relay.....any manufacturer name and part number?

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Inge K. wrote:

When you say one relay....it`s makes me curious...how is that wired?

Maybe my earlier comment about learning something today was obviously premature.
I assumed there would be a relay on the bike as standard for the existing headlight?

K1100RS 0194321

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
It`s no relays in the light circuit from factory (stupid....or cutting costs...),
the circuit is also unfused.

And that`s why I repeat, repeat and repeat in a lot of forums that`s it is important to install relays on these bikes..........
if not the hi/lo switch (which is the weak link) would fail sooner or later, even with the standard bulb.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
+ 1 inge ....

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

171Back to top Go down   1986 K100RT ex police single seat Renno - Page 4 Empty A bit of a ride Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:50 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Went for a bit of a ride today. Not far. 60km ish.
Little place near me called Galston Gorge. Too popular on a Sunday to get into the corners, but as it has been so long I was happy to sit back and enjoy the ride.
The first pic gives an idea of the road and the second is looking off into the smoke haze of the recent 'back burning' carried out to reduce the bush fire risk.
1986 K100RT ex police single seat Renno - Page 4 Galsto10

1986 K100RT ex police single seat Renno - Page 4 Galsto11

The road is full of boy racers in their Nissan GTRs. I must have seen about 30 in the 7km stretch of road all trying to go flat out and then scraping the front of the car going round the hairpins.

THIS is where it is.
If you have Google Earth installed there will be a little 3D button next to the directions. This gives a fly through.

Last edited by rossco on Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : info added)

K1100RS 0194321

When I lived at Lindfield I used to pop up and down there for a ride sometimes if I wasn't doing ''the old road'. My old Triumph really liked the very tight stuff, but my 860 Duke found it tough going with its long wheelbase.Some of those hairpins are very tight. How did the Brick go?

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Saxon7 wrote:How did the Brick go?
The brick goed very well. Too much traffic to go faster than the speed limit, but I was just wanting to get out and go round a few corners.
Think I am all set now for the Putty Road. Not.

K1100RS 0194321

These old favs...putty rd, old rd and national park rd are just all overrun these days. Too many people on motorbikes. Too many people on rice rockets.....getting more dangerous than cars...overcooking corners and coming on the wrong side out of shape...taking out other bikes.
Well ok....not more dangerous than cars.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good one rossco ....nice little trip too....hope you had fun ol mate

Halo

Halo
Life time member
Life time member
Fantastic Rossco just love the photo of your ride wow cant wait until I can use mine as well. The bike looks great in the photo its all happening now.
Saxon7 your comments are so on the money
Halo

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Thanks for the comments.
Now the fun part.
All the things you don't know to fix on a bike unless you ride it 1500km and have them break.
Bike ran like a pig at anything below 4k.

My new list.
Check speedo speed and odo accuracy
Check for air leaks. Top and bottom of throttle bodies. Yay. Fun.
Check oil leak from gearbox. Fingers crossed it's the rubber boot.
Check oil leak from the top of the forks. Oil on my tank.

Going to take the oportunity to paint up my plastic bits. Thanks for the tip Halo.

Lastly, start watching Bob the Builder for inspiration. Thanks for the tip Alby.

rossco

K1100RS 0194321

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Is this the result of an air leak?
1986 K100RT ex police single seat Renno - Page 4 Dsc03436

1986 K100RT ex police single seat Renno - Page 4 Dsc03437

K1100RS 0194321

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Not the result of an air leak but signs of an ageing engine. Its fairly normal to get oil up in the plennum, When riding at a fairly low speed there isnt very much air going through the system and oil that gets in there as vapor condenses on the walls. Unless its using a heap of oil like a litre on the whole trip I would not be too concerned about it.
If you haven't given it a compression test then I would give it one, I wouldn't expect to find anything bad but you know the starting point in case you need to do it again one day.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
pulled off the throttle bodies and the rubber mounts beneath.
first two were clean as a whistle underneath. second two had oil and crud from the inside to the outside.
guess they are the culprits.
will check for cracks and re-seal if all good.
compression check might be worthwhile also.
I will check with Klompy and see if he has the gear Shocked

rossco

K1100RS 0194321

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
rossco ....if the sump- engine crankcase had a air leak it could possible pull some of the oil up into the plenum ( poor sealing oil filler ) ...especially if was a little too full ? might explain some of the poor running issues .. but the money is on the lower rubbers being unsealed to get that idle right ...did we notice a ociter clip looking a bit sad on the rear most top tb rubber ?

another possibility could be the blowby ....so do a compression test too mate

last to add ...have you checked the tension on the cam chain and the location of the hall effect sensors ? , just wondering if the timing was out would it act up ?

i seem to remember that when points in a car were on the way out ...up high in the revs were good running but no low end torque ...that kinda equates to me as (late ?) firing - timing

good you made the trip mate .. cheers !

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Thanks Charlie.
I will try to address all your points.
Sump a little too full. Yes it was.
Ociter clip a bit crook. Yes it was
I will look around for a local compression kit.
I did not remove the cam chain, but I did move the little tensioner thing so I could check wear on that long plastic thing. Tension seemed good to me, but that does not mean it was not good.
Hall sensor was removed, but marked before removal and replaced. After reading other posts I did remove the cover and try the sensor just a smidge on side of the mark. Saw no difference and left as originally marked.
Doing the bodies and lowers and will see how we go.
rossco

K1100RS 0194321

Toto_jp

Platinum member
Platinum member
Rosco don't forget to check the air filter may be full of oil as well

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Toto_jp wrote:Rosco don't forget to check the air filter may be full of oil as well
Thanks Toto. Air filter is nice and oil free unlike the one I took off. Maybe I have masked a problem by replacing it. Original filter was very oily.

K1100RS 0194321

Toto_jp

Platinum member
Platinum member
Check crankcase ventilation hose may be blocked / perished causing blow back into plenium just a thought

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Thanks Toto, but I found major air leaks under the TBs.

For those of us in NSW, the lovelly guvmint just decided to release a new batch of rego plates.

Guy I saw had the plate BMWRT for sale at $600
He sent me an email last week and dropped the price to $450.

In NSW we can now get numbers in front of letters.
Had a look.
Now the proud owner of...

1986 K100RT ex police single seat Renno - Page 4 Clipbo11

Feel free to be jealous
get yours quick. Only a few years left Very Happy

rossco

Last edited by rossco on Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

K1100RS 0194321

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
That is OK Rossco.....didn't want 86 BMW anyway.......why?....because I haven't got a 1986 BMW . BUT I now know where I can steal a plate with BMW and 86 on it.

klompy the grey brick

klompy the grey brick
VIP
VIP
So look whats still available.....am thinking about it....

1986 K100RT ex police single seat Renno - Page 4 Plate10

Chassis number0019026
Vehicle code0503
SeriesK589
ModelK 100 RS 83 (0502 ( 0503 )
Body typeK 100 RS 83 (0502
Catalog modelECE
Production date1984 / 07
Engine0513)

1986 K100RT ex police single seat Renno - Page 4 Au-log10

klompy the grey brick

klompy the grey brick
VIP
VIP
rossco wrote:I will check with Klompy and see if he has the gear Shocked

rossco

Yep got a compression tester....I can see the bottles of beer on your work bench being joined by others...

1986 K100RT ex police single seat Renno - Page 4 187214

Chassis number0019026
Vehicle code0503
SeriesK589
Catalog modelECE
Production date1984 / 07
Engine0513)

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Klompy wrote:
Yep got a compression tester....I can see the bottles of beer on your work bench being joined by others...

1986 K100RT ex police single seat Renno - Page 4 187214

woohoo mech 1986 K100RT ex police single seat Renno - Page 4 502531

K1100RS 0194321

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Missing the girls already, rossco. 1986 K100RT ex police single seat Renno - Page 4 177381

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
sidecar paul wrote:Missing the girls already, rossco. 1986 K100RT ex police single seat Renno - Page 4 177381

Separation is always difficult. 1986 K100RT ex police single seat Renno - Page 4 78846

K1100RS 0194321

Halo

Halo
Life time member
Life time member
Wow great plate Rossco (really good)I am jealous need to get somethng special for the 84 RS

Halo

klompy the grey brick

klompy the grey brick
VIP
VIP
I imagine VIC ROADS have a similar system to NSW in that they make new plates up in order to get even more out of your wallet....I would not begrudge paying for a personailised plate but the yearly $110 is a liberty...

Anyhow interested to see what you get...1986 K100RT ex police single seat Renno - Page 4 78846

Had a quick look and its very interesting....that 84BMW is still available.

https://www1.roads.vic.gov.au/servlet/vicroads.randl.ipbos.ui.IPBOSPublicTxnMgr?cmd=IPBOSNewOrderCmd&hidFormName=frmNewOrderStart

Chassis number0019026
Vehicle code0503
SeriesK589
Catalog modelECE
Production date1984 / 07
Engine0513)

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
One more piece to the puzzle.

Eager Beaver relay kit.
PITA to install if you don't have a fairing to hide all the bits.
Hopefully the light will blind anyone trying to see how I did it.

1986 K100RT ex police single seat Renno - Page 4 Dsc04746

K1100RS 0194321

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
You are a bright spark!

dmanley

dmanley
Silver member
Silver member
Very nice.

1985 K100RT

Halo

Halo
Life time member
Life time member
S**t hot Rossco well done mate , bet you are glad to get that working properly. When i get the FI-master- chief module finished(corny name i know buts its my world) with the suburu MAF you are now equiped to install yourself as the next test case subject

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Halo wrote:S**t hot Rossco well done mate , bet you are glad to get that working properly. When i get the FI-master- chief module finished(corny name i know buts its my world) with the suburu MAF you are now equiped to install yourself as the next test case subject

Is that because your FI-MCM is idiot proof and even I can install it?
Did I mention that in the process I got 3 of the dash lights to stop working?
Pity I can't reflect back some of that light into my controls.

K1100RS 0194321

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
rossco wrote:
Halo wrote:S**t hot Rossco well done mate , bet you are glad to get that working properly. When i get the FI-master- chief module finished(corny name i know buts its my world) with the suburu MAF you are now equiped to install yourself as the next test case subject

Is that because your FI-MCM is idiot proof and even I can install it?
Did I mention that in the process I got 3 of the dash lights to stop working?
Pity I can't reflect back some of that light into my controls.

It is very difficult to make anything idiot proof because the universe keeps making bigger idiots.

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Rick G wrote:
It is very difficult to make anything idiot proof because the universe keeps making bigger idiots.

Hey!!! I resemble that remark. Shocked

Last edited by rossco on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Can't spell !!!!)

K1100RS 0194321

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum