BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1Back to top Go down   Subframe Construction K100 Side Car Empty Subframe Construction K100 Side Car Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:31 pm

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
A while back I had a look at the links for sideccars and was astounded by what i found. Gotta have me one of these i thought..looks like lots a fun. So I set about getting in touch with people who had built a subframe to bolt on to our K100. No one other than saxon was of any real use. I also had a lucky find on the weekend and now I dont have to build my own hack. So pleased I joined this forum..
This is what I scored for not a lot of dollars..
Subframe Construction K100 Side Car Resize91

So reverse engineer from pictures was the way to go. I have started to draw this up in Google sketch up and post the final drwaings here when finished. This is the frame I am copying.
Subframe Construction K100 Side Car Subfra10
here is where I am at
I needed to find all the angles from the front of the engine..So simple after sitting looking at it for a day or two..Just follow the crash bars. I did this with a bit of alloy filler rod. Perfect!
Subframe Construction K100 Side Car Resize82
Now I start on the construction.
using the crash bar mounts to bolt the rails to. There is one bolt hole that sits higher than the others so you can oly use three.
Subframe Construction K100 Side Car Resize83
Where the centre stand bolts on is where the rear of the subframe bolts on. Cut out for oil drain and Rick g was right...I will use a plate of alloy in there.
Subframe Construction K100 Side Car Resize90
Subframe Construction K100 Side Car Resize84
Here is a few pics of it so far.
Subframe Construction K100 Side Car Resize86
Subframe Construction K100 Side Car Resize87
Subframe Construction K100 Side Car Resize88
Subframe Construction K100 Side Car Resize89

These are really useful pics.

Life time member
Life time member
Impressive work Alby. I like your idea of following the engine bars. Watching with interest!

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
What did Nicole have to say about using the lunch box for nuts and bolts?
Some constructive advice I would have bent the RHS and not cut and weld. Now I hear them saying how do you bend that stuff, well its quite easy I will explain on the weekend Alby.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
You don't waist any time Alby.

I posted the link to this type of subframe this morning and you already have it 1/2 built.
I guess you are cheating and saw the site before.

Try a sidecar once, and you will be hooked.
Is hooked appropriate for a chair? scratch

Good luck with your project (I don't doubt that next week end it will be on the road).

good luck

Bert

Hover K100

Hover K100
Silver member
Silver member
Interesting stuff, that frame under the engine is similar to whats used on my craft to support the engine.

https://www.youtube.com/user/HoverIreland?feature=mhee

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
Rick G wrote:What did Nicole have to say about using the lunch box for nuts and bolts?
Some constructive advice I would have bent the RHS and not cut and weld. Now I hear them saying how do you bend that stuff, well its quite easy I will explain on the weekend Alby.

Nicole stood there just like Andy Capps mrs...one foot tapping and the arms folded :roll:O pen to ideas...This is only a get it right to fit frame. Then build the actual subframe. Not going to use the plate for this as it is bloody hard to get those holes to line up from the centre stand. I will just clamp it to in place for now to take measurements.

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Alby, the way I see it you will have it finished by the weekend.....no problems.

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
Some of you asked for pics next to K Bike.. She is from outside of bike to outside of car 1495mm and the car is 1900mm long.
Subframe Construction K100 Side Car Front_10
Subframe Construction K100 Side Car Side_v10
Subframe Construction K100 Side Car Rear_v10

col

col
Life time member
Life time member
you have been busy looking forward to catching up with you good score with the the chair

sc25

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Just a word of advice.....take the concrete block out from underneath it.....and connect the chair to the bike.

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
"Just a word of advice.....take the concrete block out from underneath it.....and connect the chair to the bike."

Well spotted Ainsjac...it's the little things like this that's noticed by other members of this forum, that make this a great site! Wink

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
There ya are Alby a bit of red string to hold it together
Subframe Construction K100 Side Car Image110

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Yep, that'll work...

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Albyalbatross1 wrote:Some of you asked for pics next to K Bike.. She is from outside of bike to outside of car 1495mm and the car is 1900mm long.

It will be an awesome combination.
it seems to be huge, but here is how it compares to the EML.
The EML/K100 is 1450mm(73") wide by 2465mm(97") long (from bike front wheel to back of the chair).

You should paint the chair's windshield to match the bike's one. lol!

CF

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Alby should be grateful with all of us helping.

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
she looks nice and snug, Alby, you seem to be on the same track as myself with the crashbar look.
I posted the same frame pic in "aka,how its done in the bush", not sure who to credit for the pic, methinks it came from Advrider.

Subframe Construction K100 Side Car 76134212
a pic of the top rear strut mount position.
I might try a piece of perpex when aligning the centrestand bolts.
good luck with the project , keep us posted.
Looking forward to seeing the the finished job.

Last edited by vlsuzuki on Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
Subframe Construction K100 Side Car 10_x_110

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
ainsjac wrote:Alby should be grateful with all of us helping.

This will work better. (They even have RED ones)

Subframe Construction K100 Side Car EDN-1179a

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
Inoticed you flipped the engine , you haven't been taking too much of a lead from Sean, at least you removed it from the bike first. Subframe Construction K100 Side Car 652573 Subframe Construction K100 Side Car 652573

2018 Kart upgrade.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
blakey wrote:"Just a word of advice.....take the concrete block out from underneath it.....and connect the chair to the bike."

Well spotted Ainsjac...it's the little things like this that's noticed by other members of this forum, that make this a great site! Wink

i recon alby could cut about 150 mm out of the height of that "sidey " and still be comfortable for nick ...might shed a few killos in the process .

just a thought, not a critisism

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
Just thinking out loud here. What are the rules on building a sidecar in qld? Do you have to buy a name brand one or can you build one?
Hyperthetically of course.

Don't give in to the Black Dog!
"A Zorst, a zorst my kingdom for a Zorst"

Subframe Construction K100 Side Car 170874

Subframe Construction K100 Side Car 2902375421 Subframe Construction K100 Side Car 2902375421 Subframe Construction K100 Side Car 2902375421 Subframe Construction K100 Side Car 2902375421 Subframe Construction K100 Side Car 2902375421 Subframe Construction K100 Side Car 1432768942

Bahahahahaahaahahaha!!!

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
caferacer62 wrote:Just thinking out loud here. What are the rules on building a sidecar in qld? Do you have to buy a name brand one or can you build one?
Hyperthetically of course.
I would say most likely you would have to get an engineer to approve it. There just aint anything like getting someone without any practical experience to tell you if its ok.

dee why

dee why
Gold member
Gold member
Here is the link to the original thread in advrider.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539968
Cheers,

04/86 K100 VIN 0009479 Columbia Silver

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks deewhy i will read thru that soon as i get a bit more time on the computer(using phone at the mo).
Hey rick we were dicussing engineers at work today. General consensus seems to be unanimous in that they should do minimum 12mths on the tools. So many have said to me that they had designed such and such its up to you to make it work.
Pffft dont think so. I noticed from quick look at advrider that post is based in south oz.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The only thing I could find with regard to the sidecar issue was this which came from the Cossack owners website.

Well thought i might ask queensland dept of transport ,what the regs where for regestering sidecars was and i got the following answer
placement of sidecar
a sidecar must be fitted to left hand side of motorcycle
the only exception to this is a genuine historic motorcycle older than 30 years ,originally have been built for rhs and with period rhs chair
brakes
motorbike manufactured on or after 1 march 1976 must have mechanical parking brake
lights
after 1/10/1991 must have reverse lights if reverse gear is fitted
must have sidelight located within 150mm of the left hand extremity of the sidecar

road clearance
must be greater than 100mm
side car connection
must be bolted
appproval from QT is required for welding of frame and fitting leading link forks

compliance plate/modification plate NOT required

ctp class
the ctp class may require changing

now that all seemed fin and then i aske dthe nice lady what if my sidecar has no seat and is just for cargo
so she rang head office and they said
and i quote he can do whatever he fukin likes with that sidecar and doest have to notify QT unless he has a seat in it
so my cargo sidecar requires no rego changes nooo fees no nuthin
just as long as its got a liitle light its sweet

hurrah for qld rego rules
so no extra fees no paperwork just have fun

To get anything else you will probably have to go to a QLD transport joint and pick their brains. (Yes a difficult thing to do to some of those counter jockies)

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
Intetesting Rick. A while back when i was building rollcages and such like in the auto performance industry I had to clarify some regulations with the DOT. A mechanical engineer that we used toldme to ring the dept and ask to speak to the inspection engineers. Did that a couple of times with really good results. Maybe i just got lucky, but i can imagine some of the not so bright questions they get.
Might try that course of action again.
Damn Alby started the grey matter boiling again.

28Back to top Go down   Subframe Construction K100 Side Car Empty Re: Subframe Construction K100 Side Car Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:11 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Saxon7 wrote:Subframe Construction K100 Side Car 2902375421 Subframe Construction K100 Side Car 2902375421 Subframe Construction K100 Side Car 2902375421 Subframe Construction K100 Side Car 2902375421 Subframe Construction K100 Side Car 2902375421 Subframe Construction K100 Side Car 1432768942

Bahahahahaahaahahaha!!!

your an evil man seanii ....giggles

hey bert, i think you read my mind with those red cable ties .....what a classic !....

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
So Alby how goes the sidecar thingo. Hope your making progress still, give me a yell when you need some welding done.

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
caferacer62 wrote:So Alby how goes the sidecar thingo. Hope your making progress still, give me a yell when you need some welding done.

I will give you a yell Bert!!!
Risk G is correct.. The subframe and car DO NOT have to be built by a tradesman or certified it is up to the inspector judgement.. I went back to the QLD transport and they said I only need to have a safety certificate and it is registered as a side car with the number of seats allocated for the chair. So I will try to get this togeather sooner than later and safety by our local country mechanic.who is a mini fan so he can help with park brake.. then paint and finish.

Col and Saxon.. Here is the link for Leading Links a bit under LBS1200 plus postage.

I fitted the sub frame to spares bike yesterday for a fit.
Subframe Construction K100 Side Car Fit1_210
Subframe Construction K100 Side Car Fit1_310
This is the side of the sump that oly one bolt hole will line up.
Subframe Construction K100 Side Car Fit110

So that's about 2K AUD with postage?

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
Yeah! Still cheaper than Eagle Trike. Still got to get tin touch with some state siders yet. Also need to learn about the mini handbrake system. I do not need the leading links for rego. am going to focus on adaptor plate and subframe mount for now.

I couldn't do it, but I still think they could or ought to be made a hell of a lot cheaper than that by someone with the know-how. There must be people on this list who could do it? Would be a matter of putting some enquiring minds and clever grey matter together? My mate Ian McPhee said he'd build me one if I got some shocks and supplied him with the front wheel I have here for the job. Sadly, he's in Zambia for the next 2 years.

What have you decided in regards to a front upper mount to go near the steering head?

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
Yes I agree. Now speaking of industrial espionage..You have a message on FB

I am not sure yet on what I am going to do. Saturday is a sit look and think day..

Here is what I have drawn up so far. Please EVERYONE.... Pull it apart..suggestions.
Hub Adaptor Plan

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Saxon7 wrote:

What have you decided in regards to a front upper mount to go near the steering head?

I don't think you need one Alby. My Wasp subframe front top fixing is at the front engine bolt. Been OK for the past 24 years.

Subframe Construction K100 Side Car Ssl10736

Paul.

Interesting. I have been of the opinion that something up forward and high is necessary. Do you not get any flex in direction changes or right handers? ( Sidecar being on the left which is right)
Perhaps the front piece you have at the engine mounts counters this at that juncture?
I have a thing on mine where in directional changes in say, roundabouts where you go left, right under throttle and then back to left, still under throttle, the bike feels like there is flex and the bike itself leans further left into the right hand part of the exercise. Any thoughts on this? Maybe I need something in that area as a kind of damper...or to add rigidity?
Schoorn.

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
No Sean I don't get any flexy feel as you say. Could it be your tele forks flexing?

Paul.

It feels like flex between the bike and chair.
Anyway....it's a work in progress, as said. Cool

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Just checking the RTA website (as I do) and noticed this.
Looks like you have to keep the chair Saxon7.
Keep Red Dog off your lap when in a school zone.

Carrying animals on a motor bike
Animals are not permitted to be carried on a motor bike between a rider and the handlebars, or in any other position that would interfere with the rider’s ability to control the motor bike.
Penalty: 3 demerit points (4 in a school zone) and $397 ($496 in a school zone)

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

That law came in sometime in the last week or so.
Wonder what Bundy is going to do?

Subframe Construction K100 Side Car Tex-bu10

41Back to top Go down   Subframe Construction K100 Side Car Empty Re: Subframe Construction K100 Side Car Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:51 pm

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
I am going to sit and have a look and think about the mounts for the chair.
Also thinking hydraulik park brake.
Paul what is the mount just below your seat?

If you want to look at the plans for my adaptor in full 3D you will need SKETCHUP it is free and easy to use. You will be able to roll the image 360 deg look over and under it. HERE is the plan in 3D. just click on the download.

[quote="Albyalbatross1"]I am going to sit and have a look and think about the mounts for the chair.
Also thinking hydraulik park brake.
Paul what is the mount just below your seat?
/quote]

Some sort of neck oil may be required for the sitting and looking. Subframe Construction K100 Side Car 76715

The mount beneath the seat attaches to a frame rail. The more mounting points, the better. Mine has 4. 3 isn't enough I don't think.

Sawn.

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
I agree. With the neck oil of course! I would like six.(neck oils or mounts...) I can see an easy two and will have to put new mounts on the chair. Also want to keep its width down. 1400mm.
I found this idea for mounting to the frame. It seems easy enough to make. Guess i will have to draw one up in sketchup Very Happy
Subframe Construction K100 Side Car Front_11

Looks good!
A little more attractive than old HQ Holden tie rod end bits:-)

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
Good job so far Alby, you're much further ahead in your project than I am , Time management needs attention I think....
I'm keeping the family happy with house reno's. So all I can do at the moment is watch other members progress.
Instead of disturbing the fairing, would you not be able to make a mount on the modified crash bar frame.
Looking at the location of the eye ball mount , you're not far from the crash bar?
SP's appear to be further out from the main frame.

2018 Kart upgrade.

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
vlsuzuki I am going to make this bike a naked. The bracket is one i found online.its on the wrong side anyways Very Happy I am going to draw it up and make some. It should make it easier to mount extra points on the existing frame. as in under the seat/side covers.

Time management is a thing of mystery to me..Just lucky to have an early start /finish job.I am still only working out the think about parts. I want to be able to have it all together for when I get the extra K bike. So I am building it on a donor bike for now.

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
the eye section of the bolt is swivel bearing oriented isn't it, would make for a much more flexible clamping.
I have seen similar, but yours may have the advantage
Subframe Construction K100 Side Car Sce-9911
From what I have been told , any new regos require a bolt on application, ball mounts , such as those found on the Steib sidecars are not acceptable.
I purchased a spare set of DJP mounts this year on ebay, they have the ball and screw fittings.Not sure if I'll be using them.

Subframe Construction K100 Side Car Sideca10

2018 Kart upgrade.

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
I know the detriment of transport go all funny when they see spherical bushes here in qld. But my experience has been with suspension components. You could possibly use the same mounting clamp but modified to use a nolathane shock bush off of a 4wd or truck shock. Although if we in qld only need a safety cert i guess its up to your friendly mechanic type person. Funny how sperical bushes are the norm in competition vehicles, and last the distance.
I think thats where i make my mistakes, I tend to dive in head first and not enough of the planning phase. Looking good though Alby.

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Alby, here's a picture of my 4 mounting points from when I built the outfit.

Subframe Construction K100 Side Car Sam_0322

It's a photograph of a glossy print so it's not very sharp. The top rear fitting is a clamp on the frame tube.

Subframe Construction K100 Side Car Sam_0323

The tube of the subframe that provides the front top fitting is stepped inside to hold the allen bolt to the engine mount, and threaded to take the eye bolt.

All food for thought.....during more neck lube.drunken

Paul.

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
I just removed the fairing and was able to take a better picture of the upper mounting on the EML. It may give others an idea.

Subframe Construction K100 Side Car Dsc_2220

Subframe Construction K100 Side Car Dsc_2221

What did you said? "Over engineered!" YES!

CF

Last edited by Crazy Frog on Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum