BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

51Back to top Go down   Throttle cable sticking - Page 2 Empty Re: Throttle cable sticking Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:38 am

bushyintas

Silver member
Silver member
Same problem on my cafe projet, turns out it was the inner teflon liner poking out the bottom of the cable and jamming in the throttle body half moon lever. Thanks Rick G.

Regards Bushy

52Back to top Go down   Throttle cable sticking - Page 2 Empty Interesting stuff Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:13 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Interesting stuff in that link from Inge! Thanks again, Inge (as usual, Inge to the rescue).

I'm still a bit confused about my 85rs. I have what appears to be the longer original lower end cable base.
I have not found any adjuster capability in the center throttle cable closer to the handlebar, so I assume that the factory cable was replaced early in life by warrantee. There is also no adjuster at the handlebar fitting.

In my case I found that there was no way I could get ANY kind of adjustment on the throttle cable length.
I ended up trimming a slight bit off the top of that lower cable bracket to achieve a slight bit of slack for the cable and allow the idle stop screw to once again become effective for lowering the idle speed.
Problem is, now I have a small bit of slack in the twist grip pull chain that makes an irritating lurch even more pronounced when going from closed throttle back to partially on throttle.
I suppose I'm gonna have to cough up some big bucks for the newer cable & bracket assy. Including the more usual screw & nut length adjuster at the handlebar fitting.
Regards, Ibj...

53Back to top Go down   Throttle cable sticking - Page 2 Empty Re: Throttle cable sticking Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:38 pm

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
It has been long since I have felt same time so stupid and so happy as now. I think I solved my throttle issue. I think it was that pdf Inge linked that finally made my slow mind click. I started to think that throttle worked perfectly last autumn. After that I have done nothing to the down end of the cable, but I have changed the handlebars twice and rerouted the upper end of the cable once more.

Before I thought that stickness can be cured only from the throttle lever, but now I have noticed that snapping the throttle bar makes the same effect. So 1+1 I suddenly was sure that the problem is not down end of cable, but upper end.

And it seems that I was right! I have been so stupid that I did not understand that under that rubbery thing ( http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/ajk73/IP.jpg partly behind the mirror) was not just cable but also the adjustment system for throttle free play. And here helped pics of the pdf that Inge linked. I do have thet new cable (I think it was renewed at 2009).

I simply had too little freeplay on the throttle. Now with less wide handlebars it effected more on the system. I adjusted that freeplay and now the throttle works much smoother and does not stick at all. So no need for new cable!

Someone more tech oriented would have fixed this in minutes. For me it took about six months. But hey. Now it is fixed.

Thanks everyone for helping, hope this helps some others strugling with same kind of issues. Special thanks to Inge K.

It was so nice drive today with smooth operating throttle.

Edit: After longer run I am more confident of this really fixing the problem. Throttle feels better and works perfect!

Edit2: And after another run K100 slapped me in the face again. It ain't fixed but it is better. I think the metal upper parts are just so worn that occasionaly the cableholder system (the thing with litle chain and stuff) gets in wrong position and stucks. There are marks on that casing showing that it is worn. Positively now if it stucks it just makes throttle very sticky, but it does not jam it, so it won't affect on the idle revs anymore. So I just have to live with it I guess.

Last edited by Tenox on Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:27 pm; edited 4 times in total

54Back to top Go down   Throttle cable sticking - Page 2 Empty Re: Throttle cable sticking Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:43 pm

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
Alheng wrote:There is no adjuster in the hand throttle, all adjustments have to be done at the other end.

There is on the new version of the cable!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum