BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Rear Shock.....which way up?? Empty Rear Shock.....which way up?? Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:52 am

Fentible

Fentible
Silver member
Silver member
I realise that this sounds a stupid question but I've just rebuilt the original rear BMW shock for my naked k100 and am unsure as to which way up it should be orientated on the bike. I've seen it pictured fitted with the preload adjustment at the frame end and also at the rear drive end.

Is there a right way or does it not make a difference.

Cheers

Fent

2Back to top Go down   Rear Shock.....which way up?? Empty Re: Rear Shock.....which way up?? Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:43 am

Avenger GT

Avenger GT
Life time member
Life time member
Pre-load adjuster goes to the top.

3Back to top Go down   Rear Shock.....which way up?? Empty Re: Rear Shock.....which way up?? Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:46 am

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Had the same question myself.
In the BMW manual it showed the aluminium end at the frame end. Other pictures elsewhere showed the other way round.
I've had one both ways and felt no difference.
I ended up having the aluminium end at the top. Made it easier to adjust and also meant the collar was further away from dirt and rain from the road.

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100RT Madison Silver(gone)
1989 K100LT Stratus Grey(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)
http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

4Back to top Go down   Rear Shock.....which way up?? Empty Re: Rear Shock.....which way up?? Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:16 am

KafeRacer

KafeRacer
Silver member
Silver member
Typically you would want the end with less mass down as in theory it makes small bump response better since it is trying to move less mass, but in reality i doubt you would be able to feel any difference.

Cheers

1990 K75RT
1985 K100 Kafe Racer
http://kaferacer.wordpress.com

5Back to top Go down   Rear Shock.....which way up?? Empty Re: Rear Shock.....which way up?? Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:22 am

Fentible

Fentible
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks all I m just pleased that it wasn't just me suffering from uncertainty.

Avenger thanks for a definitive response. Now purely for aesthetics and Comberjohns reasons I prefer it with the preload adjuster at the bottom but if the shock was designed to work with the adjuster at the top, will there be any impact on the internal damping??

6Back to top Go down   Rear Shock.....which way up?? Empty Re: Rear Shock.....which way up?? Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:12 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
I couldn't notice any difference either way but the official BMW workshop manual showed it with the aluminium end at the frame.
Think it can be found in the downloads section.

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100RT Madison Silver(gone)
1989 K100LT Stratus Grey(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)
http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

7Back to top Go down   Rear Shock.....which way up?? Empty Re: Rear Shock.....which way up?? Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:55 am

Avenger GT

Avenger GT
Life time member
Life time member
Comberjohn wrote:I couldn't notice any difference either way but the official BMW workshop manual showed it with the aluminium end at the frame.
Think it can be found in the downloads section.

Any pictures I have seen in the official workshop manual show the aluminium end at the bottom. The line drawing shows it "upside down", but not attached.

8Back to top Go down   Rear Shock.....which way up?? Empty Re: Rear Shock.....which way up?? Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:31 pm

Fentible

Fentible
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks GT, I've come to the conclusion that its probably easier if the aluminium end is fastened to the bevel drive box as with panniers and z bars fitted its difficult to adjust the preload. However Mine is currently fitted the 'normal' way ands et at the mid way point.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum