BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

51Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Well Mon May 20, 2013 4:32 pm

ibjman

Life time member
Life time member
It's difficult to say which way you should/will eventually go.
I can't imagine a comparison between a Suzuki & a BMW at any level...... But then again, we, here are prejudiced.... from the get go.
I think you need to consider a couple of things: Patience is a virtue. It can be enjoyable to just "putter along" with things. There's no emergency schedule here.
There is great joy in "learn by doing". You will become more proficient if you stick with it, it's really a quite logically engineered machine.
Me, I'm just so tired of taking the fairing apart and putting it back together again & again to get inside for repairs. If I remember right, yours id naked?.......a big head start for you.
Unfortunately, I can't review your posts while writing this so I have to comment from memory here.
In order to minimize the frustration level, I suggest you don't take the time/money right now to make any alterations or changes.
Your simplest route currently, is to fix only those things that are required now to ride through the season only.
I think you have to really concentrate on anything that could cause a crash. It is imperative that you repair whatever may be causing the throttle cable to malfunction first. No excuses, fix that now & do it right..... No economizing there.
Next make sure anything brakes and tires is right. It's hard enough out there to keep from crashing without mechanical risks factored in.
After the bike is safe, make a list in correct order of items that make the bike dependable. You can arrange that list in priorities once you have it written down for viewing.
Just approach the project as a hobby, not a mania. There are things that you want in the project and things that you need.
Just keep your ducks in a row and always make sure that what your doing is fun, not arduous.
Finally, when you need encouragement, come back to the forum and we all will cheer you along.

Love, Dad (lol)

52Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Mon May 20, 2013 5:36 pm

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
Well.. There is no way to be sure that changing the throttle cable cures the problem. It looks just fine.

I am having little problems with ordering the parts since it seems that my parts suplier is taking a week off and comes back 28th of this month. So I really don't have any hurry anymore anyway. I just don't have any motivation on trying to remove that airbox. None.

What comes to this "taking it as hobby" it would be a good advice in another country. I love riding - that is my hobby - and I can only do it in decent weather from may to september in here. So if my only bike is constantly letting me down on season it really is hard to accept. I really tried very hard to get all work done during winter and the "not so good weather" pre season, but I just did not manage to do so.

Only thing I could do now (lucky me I could get a small loan from my folks) to ensure my season to continue (or trying, because I will never be sure what I get with that Yamaha) is buying another bike. I considered another K100 just because I really have been learning what makes them tick, but I was too concerned of the possibility it would be as bad as my current one - or worse.

I really appreciate your effort on this matter, but if this K100 is planning to kill me with that throttle problem then it is. We will see if it succeeds or not.

Edit: Oh and what comes to comparison of different bikes. I have never been fanatic for any maker. I have had Aprilia, 2 BMW:s, Buell, Harley-Davidson, Honda, 3 Suzuki:s, Triumph and 3 Yamaha:s. Very Happy

Edit: And what comes to time. I really don't have it that much at this point of my life. Freetime - just for me and my hobby - is low. So that is one reason why I would not like to fix the bike during summer.

53Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Perhaps there is Mon May 20, 2013 5:45 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Perhaps there are some other members in Finland that could give you a hand with it????
After my note, In looking at the pictures I'm thinking the cable looks awfully long (Big loop, I guess that is from shortening the bars????
My cable goes behind and to the right of the forks, then down inside under the right front of the tank, then across over the airbox to the throttle body, but not between the fork tubes.
I believe we already covered this but........try to turn the clamp on the bottom of #4 throttle body about 90 degrees so the screw is roughly right behind the injector nozzle. That totally eliminates the possibility of that part getting tangled in the throttle rotating linkage. I did that on mine after a "mystery" hang up on road.

54Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Mon May 20, 2013 8:48 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Inge K. wrote:About the leaking fork, how is the condition on the dust caps above the seals? If they let the fine dust through your seals would start to leak after a rather short time. Fine dust trapped between the lips of the seals is often a reason why a leak starts.

If that is what have caused the leak it usually helps to clean the area with the aid of a thin feeler gauge blade or thin plastic foil...using a sawing movement around the leg.

About the bushes in the fork.........don't know what Rick did drink yesterday, but I'll guess it was strong, since it did affect his memory........these bushes isn't present in a Fichtel & Sachs fork which is what you got.

My doctor told me yesterday that I have a severe lack of vitamin D which among other things can affect ones memory but I cant remember what he told me to do about it. Probably spend more time in the sun instead of sitting in front of a computer and being in my mancave wondering how to get those #!*^#*^ bolts out.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

55Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Tue May 21, 2013 2:01 am

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
ibjman wrote:After my note, In looking at the pictures I'm thinking the cable looks awfully long (Big loop, I guess that is from shortening the bars????

I have been thinking about the lenght of the cable(s) too. I think po changed it to longer one since he had this really wide dragbar on bike when I bought it. When I shortened the bars (16cm in total) I had to reroute the cable because it would otherwise rise the rpm when turning the bars. Now it works OK 99,9% of time and I think I now know when and why it stucks when it stucks. (Giving rapid / too violent full throttle on acceleration) Therefore I can most likely avoid that situation by driving just a bit more gently. I still don't excactly know where it stucks.

I will check the cable and clamps once more today. I already moved one clamp which contacted the throttle linkage (thought that was the cause but it was not).

56Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Tue May 21, 2013 6:15 pm

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
Went to see that XJ900S. It was not in that good condition it was said to be. Drove it still and.. Did not really like it. Front fairings made my head shake, front suspension seemed a bit soft (and fork seals where leaking..). Seat was not right for me etc. etc. So I decided not to buy it even though it was really cheap. Had a nice road trip with my father though. (With a Volvo...)

57Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Good choice Tue May 21, 2013 6:20 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Good choice, now you won't have any distractions from the K

58Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Wed May 22, 2013 3:37 am

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
I do look for a new 2nd bike still. Maybe Yamaha TDM850 then, or some naked bike. Cool

59Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty .......... Wed May 22, 2013 12:18 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
(Hopeless My K100C 2009 - Page 2 797640)

60Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Wed May 22, 2013 4:09 pm

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
Had a very peacefull and nice rainy day all alone in my garage today.

http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/ajk73/225_1.jpg not a nice sight during best riding season
http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/ajk73/225_2.jpg just different ankle
http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/ajk73/225_3.jpg dust covers were full of mixture of dust and oil
http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/ajk73/225_4.jpg new hoses
http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/ajk73/225_5.jpg cleaned stuff
http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/ajk73/225_6.jpg Strange marks on shocks *

Great proggress with no problems in short time. Also noted that front wheel bearings must be renewed too. Taking them to the this little motorcycle repair shop with front forks.

* I think these scratches make dust covers not work like they should. I am planning to put double covers when building her back together. Stock ones and something like this too: http://www.elisanet.fi/voimakone/kuvat/varaosat/Helkama/12.%20Paioli%20etuhaarukan%20haitarikumit%20mm%20Helkama%20Raisup.jpg

61Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Wed May 22, 2013 8:00 pm

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
Jesus! Your garage is cleaner than my kitchen (and bigger Very Happy )

Mike

62Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Thu May 23, 2013 3:56 am

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
It is 80m2 of warm space and additional 32m2 of cold. My K100C 2009 - Page 2 502531

I really like it.

In comparison our house with 3 bedrooms etc. is 125m2. Very Happy

63Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Thu May 23, 2013 4:08 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Hey Tenox,

looking at the photo on Ermans post of your overflow lines.

Looks like your rear brake reservoir is getting a bit brittle. Maybe it is just the light. If you need to play with it, maybe a bit of caution as the plastic does not like sunshine (however brief).
Also, does your bike have an exhaust with catalytic converter? Seems to be a big lump of something under there.
Is that required or is it just because that is the exhaust you have fitted?

rosscko

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

64Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Thu May 23, 2013 12:04 pm

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
rossko wrote:Hey Tenox,

Looks like your rear brake reservoir is getting a bit brittle. Maybe it is just the light. If you need to play with it, maybe a bit of caution as the plastic does not like sunshine (however brief).

That came from motorcycle scrap yard with the rear brake cylinder if I remember correctly. I have another one too (pretty much in same condition). I think it was just when I installed those hoses when I last tested that reservoir and it feels quite solid.

Also, does your bike have an exhaust with catalytic converter? Seems to be a big lump of something under there. Is that required or is it just because that is the exhaust you have fitted?

rosscko

I have absolutetly no idea. I always thought that my exhaust was stock 1986 RT exhaust. Now I have found out that it really is from 16v K100 or equal. There is a big lump front of rear wheel but I don't think it is a catalytic converter and there is no lambda or place for it on exhaust. I think that lumb may be a silencer of some kind? Bike has no need for catalytic converter and because it is so old, in Finland it may scream out it's sounds with maximum of 106db (+3db on the on road measuring if I remember correctly). It is - I think - much more quiet.

Edit: Pic from last winter - http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/ajk73/O1.jpg exhaust can be seen better here.

65Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Thu May 23, 2013 2:27 pm

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
It's a 16v exhaust. The "extra" bit is required because of the shorter silencer (and houses the Cat on those bikes with one).

Cosmetically it's a vast improvement over the fugly rectangular 8v silencer but that expansion chamber needs to be supported by the bracket that fits on the right rear mainstand mounting or the weight will crack the joint where the pipes go into the silencer.

66Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Thu May 23, 2013 2:37 pm

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
It does have attachment point also on right side. On my bike I mean. I don't remember where it goes put it seems to be OK.

67Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Thu May 23, 2013 2:46 pm

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
There should be one of these:

My K100C 2009 - Page 2 K1%20BMW%20%28283%29-L

Of the four mainstand mounting screws one is slightly longer. The damper/mounting fits the the right, rear mainstand mounting and then to the welded bracket on the expansion chamber.

My K100C 2009 - Page 2 BMW%20K1%20%28132%29-L-L

68Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Thu May 23, 2013 3:48 pm

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for the info. Now I know that it ain't original either. Not much is in my bike. Very Happy Mine has just one 10mm bolt and lock knob on it. Other side 10mm bolt too and that's it. Neither one has any rubber or anything else on them.

I will take a photo someday.

69Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Thu May 23, 2013 8:38 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
MikeP wrote:It's a 16v exhaust. The "extra" bit is required because of the shorter silencer (and houses the Cat on those bikes with one).

Cosmetically it's a vast improvement over the fugly rectangular 8v silencer but that expansion chamber needs to be supported by the bracket that fits on the right rear mainstand mounting or the weight will crack the joint where the pipes go into the silencer.

Don't like being a wet blanket but they crack regardless of the mounting in the right side. I have 2 systems here and both have cracks and both have come from bikes with intact mounts. One was from my K1100 and it isnt going back on.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

70Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Mon May 27, 2013 4:00 pm

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
No progress (no fuel parts and front still at service), but the search for secondary bike is still on. So far driven:
- Honda XRV750 Africa Twin (92)
- Yamaha XJ900S Diversion (99)
- Suzuki DR800S Big (93)
- Kawasaki Zephyr 1100 (93)
- Honda XRV650 Africa Twin (88)
- Yamaha XTZ 750 Super Tenere (90)
- BMW K100 RT stock (86)

I think I am after all going for the big off road machines. That way I have two totally different bikes in my garage. So far the most interesting one has been DR800. There is someting fascinating about that single cylinder 800cc engine.

What is really weird is that when I drove that stock K100 RT today I found out that I'm too tall for it! And I am only 184cm tall. I have long legs and my knees where tightly in touch with fairings all the time. And the saddle gave no chance to go further back. So I felt way too tight there. I could not buy one with fairings for a longer trip.

Edit: Still no progress. Getting 1988 Africa Twin 650cc today. Cheapest available...

71Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Wed May 29, 2013 5:02 pm

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
So here is bike for my daily use: http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/ajk73/Africa_001.jpg

Better pics: http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/ajk73/download.html

BMW parts should come next friday. If I'm lucky. Fork service ready maybe at week 24.

72Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:59 pm

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
Still waiting for the parts... Maybe next wednesday. Deadline for the topspeed testing is coming.. I really hope I get this K100 back on the track before 29th of june. Would like to see how fast she is. Everything else is on the dealer but front fork seals seem to be under some rock. He should get them at monday and then send them to me with other parts.

Meanwhile I have travelled with Honda more than 900km in little over week. It works really nice. And I have been on gravel and forest roads etc. a lot. Places I will not get to go with my BMW.

73Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Man, ya gotta Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:24 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Man, if you haven't already done so.....you have to get rid of those GIANT DENTAL MIRRORS sticking up like rabbit ears from the handlebars on the Café K.
Should have some retro style euro handlebar end plug units......preferably slung low below the bars......not above them!
Regards, ibj...

74Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:14 am

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
Someday maybe. I would actually like to change those grips and install bar end mirrors, but with zero budget that is not an option at this point. And it will not be ever if all my money goes to repairs... And then again I just might convert this project to a really different setup in near future. (Next winter maybe.)

That would be installing mud tyres with large knobs and removing the tail section, front mudguard etc.  Rolling Eyes

Edit: Finally some progress. Parts should be here monday or sooner. So there is slight chance I get those forks serviced before midsummer festival and the bike back in one piece before the standing mile event. 200km/h is still the target!

75Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:23 pm

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
And the parts are here! Soon to the garage to put the tank together again. First thing monday morning  I will take the front fork seals to the repair shop. Light at the end of a tunnel.

Edit: And the tank is back in one piece and installed to the bike. It even started! I just might get this going again next week!

Edit: Front fork seals are in the shop with front wheel bearings and I just might get the frontwheel and forks back at thursday. Then saturday bike back together if I'm lucky!

Edit: 2 pics:
http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/ajk73/TankNew1.jpg
http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/ajk73/TankNew2.jpg

Edit 20.6.2013 - Front end is serviced and I can get it today!

Edit: Today when my wife comes from work I will finally get to put K back to one piece!

76Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:48 pm

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
It is alive and running again! Front end seems even better with new oils (stiffer maybe) and I seem to have lost that problem on acceleration with low fuel now with new fuel parts. Bike runs perfectly. I will put it back to insurance thursday. July with K and then back to Honda. Or that is the plan right now.

New pics (18 - 22) http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/ajk73/download.html It would look great with mud tyres now!

Edit: Nearly a 600km trip 25-26 of june. Near the end centerstand broke to two pieces... Throttle cable is sticking now more often and brand new fork seals seem to leak oil, (and yes I have aligned the forks as Haynes says). I'm sorry to say but this bike has been most unreliable of all the bikes I have ever had. I have to give her one credit. She has always brought me back home!

Edit: http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/ajk73/Reissureki.jpg packed for tomorrows roadtrip. Weather forecasts are looking bad, but I hope I get a chanche to try that standing mile run.

77Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:15 pm

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
Little over 500km ride today to the airfield and back. Mostly in rain, but the airstrip was dry enough!

Result: http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/ajk73/V-Max.jpg

Unfortunatetly official speed measurement gave me only top speed of 197km/h for the standing mile run. Did the run in tightly packed jaw to the tank position and with no mirrors. I think K would have accelerated bit more, but it would need more distance.

Well it was fun! And the bike was very stable and handled very well.

78Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:15 pm

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
Any ideas about the front forks? New seals and oil and they are still leaking. Left is worse as it was before new seals. I have done that fork aligment procedure twice now (first when I installed the forks and then after about 600km of riding) and it does not help. Is there anything else I could have done wrong when putting the front back together? Seals and oils were changed by professionals, not by me. Every bolt is tightened to the torque mentioned in Haynes manual. Are the forks just in so bad shape that new seals can't help? They did not seem to be so bad..

79Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:19 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
If the chrome on the fork tube looks good then it is good and a bad one is very obvious however the slider can be very worn, some even get an oval shape to them and all you can do is sell them for scrap.
If you see any scores or marks like rust pitting or can even feel anything irregular they will leak, they should be a smooth as silk.
Remove the wheel and guard so there is no connection between the two lower sliders and with them fully extended try to move them about the axis of the leg. If you can see or even feel any axial or lateral movement between slider and tube then it needs fixing or the seal will leak.
If you can feel movement remove the leg and then remove the seal and retest and the movement will most likely be more.
You had the seals replaced by professionals and they should have picked up any movement but knowing what some are like they probably didn't even test.

80Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:20 am

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Rick. I will see if I have the time and motivation on checking forks again at winter. BMW will be on the road only for about end of july this year so I won't be spending it on garage if possible. Forks are clean and chrome is in excellent condition, but they are 27 years old so they might be oval.. Just my luck.

Edit: Fuel system works really well now. 330km on odo after refuelling and acceleration is smooth. There can not be much over 4 liters of fuel left now, maybe less.

Actually bike would be rather nice now if forks would not leak and throttle cable stuck.

Edit: Cable problem (partially) solved! More in here: https://www.k100-forum.com/t5565p50-throttle-cable-sticking

Edit: I think this bike will end up as a spare parts doner if I can't get it to work! I may change that Honda at autumn to a K100RS or LT - propably RS since my legs did not fit in standard RT:s fairings so they won't fit in LT (if I'm correct they have the same fairings on that knee section).

81Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:12 pm

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
Just to show it's not all bad here in Finland with our bit short riding seasons etc.

http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/ajk73/Sunset.jpg

This was taken with not so good Nokia N71 since I left my good camera home... This was taken around 11 pm and we are already past midsummer so it is getting darker.

Edit: Forks I have not checked yet since last attempt to make them not leak, but the throttle has been ok for quite long now. Other than those bike is really nice to drive, turns rather well in corners is stable etc. I have this love/hate relationship with it.

82Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:13 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
That is a pretty awesome pic Tenox.
Is that on the corner of VanHakartanontie and Lokalahdentie?

K1100RS 0194321

83Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:04 am

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
The other road is Kirkkokankaantie. http://goo.gl/maps/ibefv

84Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:43 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Me, I'm just so tired of taking the fairing apart and putting it back together again & again to get inside for repairs. If I remember right, yours id naked?.......a big head start for you.

I had the LT for 3 years and had a few issues and the most important thing I reckon was a few modifications to the fairing and gas tank for access to the vitals.

Now I just got an RT which has the same fairing so the first task is to repeat this but now I have the experience.

1: Make the gas tank easier to remove.  Chances are the high pressure fuel lines are old and shot. Mine are stamped 14-84 so its time for them to go.
Solution: get new BMW fuel line and put longer ones in that allow you to lift the gas tank and access the electric box underneath. Use butterfly worm drive fittings, position the bottom one at the front so you can access it through the vent hole in the left lower fairing. If the tank must come off you open this one and don't touch the top one, pipe stays on the tank. Use the same worm drive fitting at the second fuel line and you can unscrew it at the tank when you take out the horizontal air baffle.
Also, if you have an earth on the gas tank move the earth end so its fixed to the bike further back. Use a new and longer wire. If you can, also use a butterfly nut to secure the earth or use a spade connector but you must keep an eye on spade connectors.
The last connection is the one to the fuel pump. Mine was located where I could access it easily so I didnt modify it. But this time I will get 2 4 way connector blocks and extend the connection so I don't even have to disconnect it.
After I did this I could lift and raise the gas tank without removing any fairing panels [slip a piece of cloth down each side of the tank as you raise it] and use a tool [vise grip?]to prop it so I could work in the electrical box, access radiator cap etc. 
Now no need to depressurise the fuel rail, open any petrol connections or remove much fairing fittings.
Plus, easier to keep an eye on maintenance and you know the fuel lines are good.
The further plus point is that because the electrical box is now accessible the spare room in it will accommodate some small electrical spares that can be easily accessed if needed. A roadside repair now becomes easier.

2: Make the fairing panels easier to remove. The storage boxes are held in place at the front with 2 fiddly screws. Replace them with larger nuts and bolts. Butterfly ones are great but if you feel the wings mess up your storage space then 10mm bolts and keep a short flexible screwdriver and 10mm socket in your toolkit. Glue the nuts that go inside the fairing [and need universal jointed fingers to get in] in place at the back so they dont come out when you have to remove the storage boxes. Setting it up is a killer but once its done you have quick access and you will wonder why it was not done before. Now access becomes fast: remove the leg lining of the fairing [3 screws] and undo the two nuts at the front end of the storage box. The horizontal air baffle inside the fairing has just two screws and comes out to reveal all. The metal support bracket for the storage box has 4 crosshead screws but these are easily accessed.

With all done you can have the gas tank and both sides of the fairing off in less than 10 minutes. Takes about he same to put it back too.

Without this I would not have the patience for the K.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 49,200 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 63,390 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

85Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:28 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Off Topic.

K1100RS 0194321

86Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:17 am

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
Gotta love Monty Python. Very Happy  And it is +28 celcius here - too hot for riding...

Edit: Forks do still leak so I need new pipes if I will keep this bike.

87Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:45 pm

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
So season with the mighty K is now ending. Tomorrow and saturday I have planned to do 2 little trips, then bike shall rest atleast till november. Maybe if weather is nice I will take her out once or twice then. Propably not and if so she will get on the road again 2014 next.

My season continues with Honda XRV650 Africa Twin. It has handlebar warmers.. 10-17th of august we do longer trip to eastern Finland with 3 mates.

http://37euromeeting.com/wp-content/flagallery/savonlinna/savonlinna.jpg

There is some scenery from near the place we will be staying.

88Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:37 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Wow that looks tops. I reckon you will have to leave room in the panniers for me.
Hope you enjoy the trip.

89Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:28 am

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Rick. I think I will.

90Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:40 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
My K100C 2009 - Page 2 112350 🆒

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

91Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:04 pm

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
Took some video of my rides today, but picture was strangly disturbed. Camera too near engine and vibrated I guess. So won't post it on youtube - sorry. Embarassed

Edit:

Last trip. 300km. Total of 5500km with K now and little less than 5000km this year - actually all that in less than 3 months. Good amount of km:s considering all the problems I have encountered.

92Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:22 am

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
Sold the Honda (as planned), so season continues with K after all. Unless I switch it to museum bike which I have been offered. It is a BMW too. Or actually it is not. It's father is a 1938 BMW R71 which was copied by russians and called IMZ-M-72 and then again copied by chinese who manufactured Chang Jiang 750. Laughing 

This is the actual bike I'm planning to trade for: http://www.nettimoto.com/chang-jiang/750/1565011 same age than I am.

Edit: No deal. Funny bike though. Very Happy  Gear change sounded like a rifle firing etc. Made me smile, laugh even, but not my bike.

93Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:53 am

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
ibjman wrote:Man, if you haven't already done so.....you have to get rid of those GIANT DENTAL MIRRORS sticking up like rabbit ears from the handlebars on the Café K.
Redesigned mirrors. Or a mirror. It is still giant (from my ex Buell), but it is located more personally. Very Happy Shocked 

Next step is lifting the seat about 4,5cm (with wooden block) and installing a luggage carrier and placing the registerplate so that side bags can be installed if needed.

Must also ask the price for new fork pipes. Sad 

Pic: http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/ajk73/Mirror.jpg

Edit: And this thing is now more like Bobber K than Cafe K.

Was not able to lift the seat yet (we will see at winter if it is possible), but I did do that other stuff. Pictures of the "Touring" version Laughing  can be found here - http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/ajk73/download.html

94Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:01 pm

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
Lifted the seat, did a testrun, found out that ergonomics where actually worse than before, took out the modification. Also asked for new fork pipes. 400,00 euros per unit. 800,00 euros total. Not going to happen. Evil or Very Mad 

So I will drive with leaking fork until it will start leaking so bad that driving safely is not possible. Or I will put this thing to spare parts altogether.

Bought another BMW: http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/ajk73/E46_01.jpg

Still nice weather here so planning to ride at weekend. +10 celcius and the sun is shining.

95Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:52 am

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
Since I seem to be hanging out with my K next season too I made some purchases. Bought bar end mirrors (19,90e / piece) and heated grips set (29,90e).

Only project other than instaling those during winter would be - if possible - placing the registerplate somewhere else. I dont like it's current position and I cant place it on side where it was, since I may need saddlebags next year.

5552km this season with K (and another +5500km with Honda). There still may be some days left that one could drive, but we shall see. Night are already on minus celcius.

Edit: Some new pics available of the Advanced Touring version. Very Happy 

http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/ajk73/download.html pics 26 and 27 Edit: and 28 + 29.

I know that those mirros might look better installed so that they would be under the bar, but if i place them there I can't even see the mirrors (nor anything behind the bike then obviosly), so it is not an option. Sorry about that ibjman, but they are better than anything before eh?

edit: Added two more photos.

edit: Just had to change that plate position back to the side of the bike. We in Finland have way too large plates I think.. I placed it as low as I could this time, so I think I can get saddlebags on the bike when I need to.

http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/ajk73/BMW_VFinal_01.JPG
http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/ajk73/BMW_VFinal_02.JPG

96Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:53 am

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
We have had strange warm winter so far. Almost no snow at all here where I live while last 3 years there have been massive amount of it. One could still ride here, but since the temperatures are only about 0 - +6 degrees celcius and roads always wet I have not been riding since october 25th.

Bike is also ready for the next season so I have not been doing anything to it. Well I tried to check once again the throttle system near injectors but did not find any reason for its occational stucking.

Rear tire will have to be replaced next season (lasted a lot less than I thought it would, will not get 10 000km with it) and I think I will get 140 wide this time. After about 3500km I will change engine oil and propably filter too.

Thats about it.

97Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty My K100C 2009 Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:32 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
It's a strange summer here as well, hot hot hot and yet cool nights and wet grass in the mornings. Oh and the ice down in Antarctica has advanced and stuck a research ship, 2 ice breakers haven't been able to get through yet.
I get the feeling we will be in for a big winter here. Enjoy the warmer weather and keep working on that bike, looking good.
RT

98Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:11 pm

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks, will do! Nice driving weathers to you!

Started the bike yesterday (after about 2 months), and it fired up with 1st start and sounded so nice!

99Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:02 am

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
Sorry about the pics not working anymore. My homepage provider ended its service. Still trying to find new way to put pics online. Maybe dropbox.

100Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:56 am

Be made

Be made
Life time member
Life time member
Tenox wrote:Sorry about the pics not working anymore. My homepage provider ended its service. Still trying to find new way to put pics online. Maybe dropbox.
Easiest way I found was to greate a blog using googles blogger, post them there and thencopy the image location and post them here

101Back to top Go down   My K100C 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: My K100C 2009 Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:10 am

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
I will look that possibility too, thanks.

Meanwhile no warm winter here anymore. About little less than 2 weeks it has been -15 to -22 celcius in here. I don't like - and my wallet likes even less..

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum