BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 3 of 7]

101Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:30 am

Yaaahh, the clutch parts arrived as did the 2nd hand LCD for the instruments.

I got the old rear seal out and the new one in this arvo without issue. Work is going to get in the way tomorrow but when I do reassemble the clutch, I should only lightly grease the ring behind the spring plate and the 3 locating dowels, is that right? I have some OPTIMOL T WHITE PASTE for that.

No need to grease/oil the thrust washer or anything else in the clutch?

102Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:33 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Just a light smear of grease on the ring and the diaphram spring where it touches the pressure plate.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

103Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:42 am

Cheers Rick, should get the gearbox back in this week Smile

I also put a meter on the gear change switch and it still works even with all that blue silicon I covered it in. Since it first fell apart and I put that goop on it, I've applied a couple more coats in case there where any holes in it. And it still works, woo hoo bounce

104Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:47 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I use the black polyeurethane glue like sikaflex and it is permanent you need to use a razor to get them open after that stuff.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

105Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:34 am

The blue stuff is for making gasket seals so it should handle the heat and i got it here now Smile

I've just opened the instruments, got the old LCD out and pulled the 2nd hand one from the shipping box and .... it's missing a set of contacts. The mongrels.

That's almost 4 hours and no answer to my email. It is prime time over there, 2PM. No more Motorworks for me.

86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 LCD-1

106Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty I am not famliar Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:46 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
I am not familiar with the greasing of the parts you speak of. I could be correct. Others here may be able to assist or perhaps you are following the manual that I haven't yet consulted.
My understanding is that the large rear seal behind the clutch basket is tephlon and should be clean & dry on the sealing surface. My common sense would seem to say that a bit of silicone coating on the o-ring is considered appropriate.
Nothing that I know of on the big nut & washer, but there is a very specific procedure for torqueing the nut .....2 tightening specs I believe. As I remember it's tighten to big spec to seat it then loosen & re-tighten to a slightly lesser spec as in the specs.
Also use only new bolts & washers to bolt on the clutch cover, maybe add a dab of blue loc-tite?????
I think those threads have been known to strip out quite easily so maybe only torque to the low end of that spec.
Most important is to have the clutch disc exactly centered on the flywheel plate when tightening the bolts (otherwise the trans can not be pushed back in) and to be sure and have a light coating of the Molly Paste on the splines of the clutch plate & the transmission snout.
Similarly, coat the splines at both ends of the driveshaft.
Special attention to the "tricky" inside spring ring inside the swingarm end of the rear transmission flex boot. The ring provides slight outward pressure on the boot to press it around the inside groove in the arm.
All this is assumption that I have it correct so verify my statements elsewhere on the forum. I could have an error in there.
Regards, ibj...

107Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Just take Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:48 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Just take one of the little rubber wafers out of the old one & insert it in the new one.......nothing is soldered to it....should almost fall out easily

108Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:03 pm

Cheers Jay,
This rear seal needed to be in oil for at least 2 hours before installation. I gave it 3 hours and it's in without issue. I will go get a 27mm ? socket to tighten that main nut, I got it off with an imperial socket Smile I'd rather not try 103 Ft/Pds with the wrong socket Smile And I'm still waiting for swing arm bearings so all that is later, just clutch and gearbox goes in now.

I had a pick at the rubberish feet on the LCD but they didn't want to move. I'll wait for a reply to my email before moving to the next level. It's a bit dark just now to see exactly what's going on in there and how it all connects. I did find that bleeding is due to the glue around the LCD breaking down in the sun. Probably UV related.

Last edited by RobinW on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

109Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty I dont know Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:10 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
I don't know.....I just had a go with one.......and the little square rubbers just fall out....in fact I lost one so had to move one from the defective one........do you want I should go back out & dig through my spares and try to verify the in & out of the contact????
Maybe yours is just stuck/gluey somehow???????
You could get more aggressive with the old one & see if it pops out....not much to loose there.....maybe slide some thin tweezes in there?????
Let me know...

110Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:19 pm

Thanks but see the other thread ... I got it out with a little prompting from a needle.

111Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty cant find it Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:20 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
dug thru my stuff can't find the old one.....

112Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 am

First minor disaster today. Got the clutch housing on and tensioned as per the haynes manual no problem. Greased the required bits and assembled the clutch. Made a locating tool out of a deep socket and the clutch pushrod with some electrical tape around the rod so it sits square in the socket. 

Got it all in place centered and put the new bolts and washers in finger tight and then started to go around tensioning them all. I set the tension wrench to 10 Ft/Pds so I knew when we were close to 15.5 and they all came up nicely. Set it to 15.5 and the first bolt I tightend snapped. The head sheared off. Bugger ....

I pulled the clutch out again and lucky me, I was able to unscrew the leftover bolt thread with a pair of grips.

All stop again till I can get another set of washers at least. I'm thinking I may have got some bad bolts and it might be wise to get another set of them as well? That's almost $30 from munich delivered for 6 bolts and washers !!!! And their cart is offline right now so they won't be here for the week-end Sad

113Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:07 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
RobinW wrote:Set it to 15.5 and the first bolt I tightend snapped. The head sheared off. Bugger ....

Same thing happened to me. Got the bolt from Motorworks.
Snapped clean orf and the thread unscrewed in my hand. Luckily.

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

114Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:28 am

They must have some dodgey bolts in the bolt bin over there. 

It's all good now though, just reused one old bolt and tensioned them up with a different wrench. 

It's all back together and the gearbox is back on the bike ... Yahhh.

115Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:53 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
ibjman wrote:
View the bold print sent out yesterday....

I am not familiar with the greasing of the parts you speak of. I could be correct. Others here may be able to assist or perhaps you are following the manual that I haven't yet consulted.
My understanding is that the large rear seal behind the clutch basket is tephlon and should be clean & dry on the sealing surface. My common sense would seem to say that a bit of silicone coating on the o-ring is considered appropriate.
Nothing that I know of on the big nut & washer, but there is a very specific procedure for torqueing the nut .....2 tightening specs I believe. As I remember it's tighten to big spec to seat it then loosen & re-tighten to a slightly lesser spec as in the specs.
Also use only new bolts & washers to bolt on the clutch cover, maybe add a dab of blue loc-tite?????
I think those threads have been known to strip out quite easily so maybe only torque to the low end of that spec.

Most important is to have the clutch disc exactly centered on the flywheel plate when tightening the bolts (otherwise the trans can not be pushed back in) and to be sure and have a light  coating of the Molly Paste on the splines of the clutch plate & the transmission snout.
Similarly, coat the splines at both ends of the driveshaft.
Special attention to the "tricky" inside spring ring inside the swingarm end of the rear transmission flex boot. The ring provides slight outward pressure on the boot to press it around the inside groove in the arm.
All this is assumption that I have it correct so verify my statements elsewhere on the forum. I could have an error in there.
Regards, ibj...

116Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Sorry Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:01 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Sorry to hear of the misfortune with the clutch bolts Now I feel like it's partially my fault for not stressing that point more carefully.
 I guess you could say that the good thing is that everyone learned from your event. Secondly.....I'm happy to hear that you worked through the problem & were able to get a satisfactory solution!
Great going!
Regards, ibj...

117Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:06 am

The reason they want you to replace the bolts is because they are coated with a product that helps for uniform tensioning on the bolts. When you remove them, the black coating may have deteriorated over time.

I rang a bm shop looking for bolts and got that from them so it's not that the old bolts will shear off, catch fire or steal your dog.

Also I'm not paying another $30 for 6 bolts and a long wait and I see no tension range on those bolts. The K75 shows a range the K100 says 21Nm, at least in this Haynes manual. I think the bolt was a dud.

The side stand is back on Smile

[edit] And the LED kit arrived for the instruments so they are done and resealed with a new o ring.

Last edited by RobinW on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:54 am; edited 1 time in total

118Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:14 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
RobinW wrote:The reason they want you to replace the bolts is because they are coated with a product that helps for uniform tensioning on the bolts. When you remove them, the black coating may have deteriorated over time.

I rang a bm shop looking for bolts and got that from them so it's not that the old bolts will shear off, catch fire or steal your dog.

Also I'm not paying another $30 for 6 bolts and a long wait and I see no tension range on those bolts.

The side stand is back on Smile

[edit] And the LED kit arrived for the instruments so they are done and resealed with a new o ring.

I use new bolts but not OEM but REPCO (and aussie auto parts joint) has hex head bolts in 7 mm in a blister pack from Champion in Melbourne they are 8.8 and quite good enough for the use. I don't use the old bolts as the head strips out too easily and if one day you need to do repairs by the road or even in a shed somewhere other than home an 11mm /7/16AF /3/16 BSW is easy to get and wont strip the head or round it off.

119Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:48 am

What on earth is an 11mm /7/16AF /3/16 BSW ?

120Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:57 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
A spanner the 3 sizes are within about 5 thou of each other so chances there will be a spanner rather than a 6mm hex key  11mm, 7/16 AF or 3/16BSW they are all interchangeable for size.

121Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:01 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
RobinW wrote:What on earth is an 11mm /7/16AF /3/16 BSW ?

A spanner - metric, AF (USA) & Whitworth (UK). 
One size fits all?  Maybe, depending on what sort of trade training you had. 

My vehicles are metric, I worked on AF aircraft and thank G** I never used Whitworth.  I run and hide in the corner when I see one of Dad's pommy spanners lying around.

122Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:06 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Yes those Whitworth are enough to make your blood run cold.

123Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:12 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
lol
i had the pleasure of playing with a simca (french crysler ...omg ).....many years ago  all we had was af sized spanners and stuff ....
was a great little car ...emphasis on little ...but a great runner ...no metric tools in sight... what a shame but made life interesting  from playing with the regular holden etc ...or worse uk (whitworth) austin or morris  ...later on all electricals were whitworth ...try finding an eqivalent size out here these days ......crikey !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

124Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:20 am

TacKler wrote: Maybe, depending on what sort of trade training you had.

No spanner training for me Smile

Radio Trades here with 2 way radios, then electronics diploma and electronic positioning for ships, then mobile phone exchanges and base stations, then a software engineering degree and programming then finally unemployable so self employed Smile

125Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:38 am

klompy the grey brick

klompy the grey brick
VIP
VIP
British standard Whitworth....and then there was BSF, BA, whitworth , AF, etc etc....very happy with metric but the yanks still refuse to adjust....
I used to work on an Italian jet trainer that was metric and AF...what a joy!!!

86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Wrench12

Chassis number0019026
Vehicle code0503
SeriesK589
ModelK 100 RS 83 (0502 ( 0503 )
Body typeK 100 RS 83 (0502
Catalog modelECE
Production date1984 / 07
Engine0513)

86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Au-log10

126Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:49 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The poms just couldnt help themselves they had a spanner sized acording to the thread and not the nut it went onto.

127Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:08 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
I'll take PROPER Whitworth threads and spanners any day!!

Away with these foreign metric things.....86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 797640

Paul.

128Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:55 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
lol!

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

129Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty The last time Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:16 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
The last time I had Wentworth was when I had a 250 Greeves with a Villiers square barrel!

130Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:28 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
sidecar paul wrote:I'll take PROPER Whitworth threads and spanners any day!!

Away with these foreign metric things.....86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 797640

Paul.
Yes I suppose the Vincent would be covered in Twitworth threads has it got any square nuts and cuphead bolts

131Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:52 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Yes, Rick, of course it's got real threads. Very Happy

But don't tell everyone, 86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 76715  It's got some metric threads as well affraid (in common with most Brit bikes).

Smiths speedos are all metric as Smiths acquired the design from the French company Jaeger.

Paul.

132Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:50 am

Got a steering bearing in the mail yahhh.  

So front end is back on but I left the front axle bolts loose till I can get both wheels on the ground again. Hope I remember that Smile

Had trouble getting the front guard back in and scratched some paint. I don't see an easy way to get it on/off.

Had some difficulty setting the bearing nut. Tightening the top nut changed everything. After many attempts I think I got it.

Also beeding the front brakes took a lot of time and fluid but it's also done.

Now what has the postman done with those swingarm bearings.

133Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Yup Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:03 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Yes, Adjusting the head bearings can be a bit of a challenge till you've had some practice at it. I compare it to shooting ducks.........you have to learn to "lead 'em" or they'll be in a different place when the shot arrives!

Same with these bearings: You have to set them a wee bit on the loose side as the final tightening of the top lock nut compresses the nut below it into the clearance of the threads and closes up a few extra thousandths of end play.
Set em too loose, they're just right, set em just right, they're too tight! How can you win?

My experience taught me that you should set them as tight as you can get away (live) with because they'll loosen up some as you ride during the first few thousand miles and will need to be adjusted at least twice more.

When they are slightly too tight, you'll notice the bike tends to "slew" in lazy esses when starting out from a stoplight. If you can live with that (depends on how bad it is).......if you can live with that, it'll slowly get better as the bearings seat in, meaning you won't have so many re-adjusts in your future.
Sounds crazy, I know.....just sharing what I've actually been through. Take it for whatever it's worth.
Regards, ibj...

134Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty About the front guard? Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:08 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Not sure what you mean by trouble with the front guard. You're talking about the fender?

I found that you have to slide the fork seal overbonnets up to the top part of the chrome sliders and insert the fender from the front up between the chrome tubes where there's more space....then drop it straight down between the lower tubes.
Not sure if we're talking about the same procedure here or not.

135Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:12 am

That's the one Jay, I know them as mud guards. I see how now for next time, thanks.

I wonder how I got it out? I've forgotten Smile

136Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:17 am

The swingarm bearings arrived today so I've got the arm, final drive and reconditioned shocky back on the bike. Some fluid leaked from the final and onto the disk so I'll need to clean that off. But it's looking like a wet week-end so there'll be plenty of time to get the whole rear end reassembled. A bike with 2 wheels again .....

I also have new exhaust gaskets and was planning to hold them in place with some of the moly assembly grease I have. That won't be an issue will it?

86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Swingarm

137Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:30 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
might stink a bit ....well for a few ks  at least

don't worry about it though ....I love seeing reactions on folks faces ...grin
you better give us some feedback on the shock rebuild ....when you get a chance mate

138Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:11 am

The shocky cost $190 for the rebuild, it didn't need the $50 rechrome of the shaft and it had been rebuilt before. He replaced a cracked rubber bushing while he was at it. I saw 3 other shocks exactly like mine on his bench when I picked it up which made me wonder how many times you can rebuild them.

But I doubt I'll know what's made the biggest difference though, the shock, swingarm bearings or steering bearings, they were all toast. I was going to replace the ancient front tyre but I'll leave that one and brake rotors till after tax is dealt with.

139Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:03 am

Well that was easy, the whole rear end is back on the bike and we have 2 wheels again. yahh.

I did go buy some gear oil to top up the gear box and final drive but found they had penright synthetic and mineral. I don't remember what they sold me initially when I did the fluid change but this litre of synthetic cost $22 and the invoice for the fluid change oil shows 2 litres for $22 so I'm guessing it has mineral oil in it. Should I go get another litre of synthetic and change the oil or exchange it for mineral and top it up?

86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Rearend

140Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty you'll get other ideas on this Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:13 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
I believe that all synthetics unless they would be something really exotic, are formulated to mix well with their petroleum brothers.
There are many motor oils out there an the market that are petro-syn blends after all.
I wouldn't worry about doing that but I'll bet someone else here will chime in with the OH NO!
Regards, ibj...

141Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:19 am

Cheers Jay. I think I might go fight the Saturday traffic again and exchange it for mineral.
That will give me a 2.5 litre bottle which will top this up and leave enough for the next oil change for no more money Smile

142Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Well ok Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:31 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Ok, you are in charge.
In my opinion, synthetic is worth the investment for gear oils but it's overkill for engine oils.

Seems like whatever I do, you do the opposite???? must be because we're at opposing ends of the globe??? LOL

143Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:09 am

hehehe. I'm just in money saving mode now. I've spent more than I thought on parts for this thing. Damn exchange rates Sad

But, I just exchanged the 1 litre of synthetic for 2.5 litres of mineral for an extra dollar, so that will last a while.

One more bag of parts to arrive from the UK, probably new week and I can button everything up.

144Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:01 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
most of my oil leaks started after a change in oil ... to something quite different
there might be something in staying with the same brew that has been circulation in there all these years

stay with the mineral in the motor at least

145Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:21 am

I'm pretty sure the last owner was getting stuff done at the bm shop and I bought the fluid/filter change stuff from them so it's probably always had mineral oils in it. I thought I might run a dose of diesel oil through the engine, I've read it can clean the mirror in the oil sight glass which is pretty hard to see the way it is.

146Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:27 pm

I went through the paperwork to see how much I've spent (way too much .. nearly $1400 in invoices) Sad 
But I found a note from the previous owner. He's been using penrite HPR 15 which is a 15W60 synthetic with a zinc additive.
I put in a 20W50 at the fluid change. I'm thinking I should use what he's been using.

147Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Don't Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:14 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Don't put the diesel oil through the engine. The engine's not designed for that.
I'm not sure when you say diesel oil if you mean diesel lube oil such as RPM Delo or diesel fuel to thin the engine oil. In spite of what may be suggested elsewhere here, it just feels wrong to me to put fluids in the machinery that is not spec. for it Once you change to clean normal motor oil the sight glass might clean up a bit with some miles. You could (eventually) order a new sight glass as I did, they don't cost much and they're a breeze to change out.
Consider....stopping & think before you act and refrain from fixing things that aren't broken.
My thoughts are that you've found yourself with a lot of time on your hands as you have to wait for parts to be shipped in from who knows where.
Perhaps you're a bit "antsy" to get on & get going.
Get yourself in a mindset that you'll ride it a while before fixing anything else that's not obvious.
Regards, Ibj...

148Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:25 pm

So you're not a fan of the diesel oil business jay Smile
There's a lot of chatter that it can even fix starter clutch issues?

Brand names of oil don't mean the same here.
eg: fanta soft drink here is orange, there it's ginger beer.

149Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty My point exactly! Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:28 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Do YOU have a starter clutch issue at this time?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Also it's bad karma to "anticipate" and try to correct a failure before it has occurred.
:-)

150Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Re: 86 K100RS Resurrection. Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:31 pm

Your right. But I will replace this oil with what the other guy has been using.

151Back to top Go down   86 K100RS Resurrection. - Page 3 Empty Ok great Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:39 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Ok great! (but I think the risk is slight to go ahead & use the oil you've just installed).

I've heard hundreds of horror stories over the years about seals leaking because of some change in fluid brands....never really found that it really occurred or it wasn't due to some other cause such as a defective seal?????

You'll be fine either way you choose to go.

Suggest you go inside, put your feet up in front of the telly, pop the top off a few of those wonderful giant cans of "Fosters", maybe get frisky with the old hen or whatever.....for a while......you've been at this too long and it's starting to show!
lol

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum