BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

201Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:28 pm

Stan

Life time member
Life time member
Col, I kind of rode the bike down the road to take a photo of a 12 wheeled road roller for the tag thread, but it had gone. So instead of going home, changing bikes to go to the zoo, I thought I would risk going another 3km to the zoo, no one stopped me......very sunny day and every one was blinded by the light and the colour and didn't check that there was no plate on the bike.
Today I will need morning tea, lunch and possibly arvo tea with me at the RTA. Government bodies assume that they have shifted their business to the internet and therefore don't need many counter staff......wrong.

202Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:50 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Bike is really looking great!

OG

203Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty The journey begins Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:59 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Gee Stan, I thought you were a law abiding citizen. Just say you are riding to get a blue slip.
The bike looks great, looking forward to your first scratch.
RT

204Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:55 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Another K bike is now LEGALLY on the road. Couldn't believe it...thought that the power was 66 kw....the RTA had to correct me...their computer says that it is 65.7. So there were some issues getting that right. Now out to get that first scratch.
RT, I have modified your no lower fairing idea by cutting those leg liners and trimming the right length to the lower end of the top fairing. I thought that those liners were rubber so the jig saw came out for the job.It was tough going and then I found out that there is, inside the centre of the rubber, a steel plate, probably the whole length and width of the liner.
I think I need a new jig saw blade.

205Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:40 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Woohoo.
Well done you.
Was the inspection for pink slip or blue?
I gotta go through the blue slip with mine. Just wondering what sort of things they looked at?

rossco

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

206Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:02 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
oh ! you found the rubber coated steel liner ...?

could have told you that ....grin ...

good work stan ...looking great !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

207Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:10 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
A blue slip was needed for the bike as it was out of rego for more than 2 weeks and a change of ownership. The same things as a pink slip were checked, but it took about 20 minutes for computer input to the RTA and checks to see if any bits, ie motor were stolen. The bloke who did the inspection was a bike nut and compared the bike to a tractor.......go forever, not the fastest, but ultra reliable.
Yes Charlie, found that steel bit.
The journey begins - Page 5 P9210210
Now I am mobile I have found that one of the panniers moves about a fair bit, even when the catch is locked. Problem is that the catch has worn so much that the "hook" into the z frame is so loose that it is useless. Plan B...security system....internal locking device.
The journey begins - Page 5 P9210211
Wing nut ,split washer on the inside to secure the bolt.
The journey begins - Page 5 P9210212
Bolt, bolted to the aluminum angle and the through the z frame. It may take a little longer to remove, but it is far more secure.

208Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:16 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
We got some liners for our bags. Much easier than taking the whole thing into a hotel room and they are water proof or so we are told.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

209Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty The journey begins Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:21 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Well done Stanislaw, it is now imperative that we get a meetup going. I have finally got my wife's little Suzie
all fixed and mobile and we are planning a trip to Bathurst/Orangeish soon, At last I can stop spending money on her bike and concentrate on mine.(again).
Look forward to seeing the machine mate
RT

210Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:33 am

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
It is orange...Looks good as well...have you got a piece of wood to put under your stand??/I could arrange to have someone place it on the ground for you!!

211Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:21 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Alby, you have to bring one for me at Bingara. I have followed your lead and put white leds in the parking light strip. Have already used the red ones on my red bike. Will you be going to the markets at any time where the led bloke is?

212Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:39 am

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
I can make the short trip over for you. Here is his WEBSITE if there is anything you want I can pick it up and send it down for you.

213Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:42 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Took the bike for a very quick trip around town and this has created some new questions. The bike starts well and will idle at about 850-900 nicely. You take it for a spin and within a few kms it will idle at 1100 and continues to do so. Could the throttle be jamming some where or is there another issue?
The second issue is that because of my height and length of legs, my legs are pressed up against the tank. I have looked at threads on knee pads, but they are up to 2 years old. What is the current thinking on these pads, do I have to get the real BMW ones, or do I cut my own?

214Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:48 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
More photos, more modifications.
The journey begins - Page 5 P9230210
The stripes are actually red....two benefits.......they match my red helmet and the red bike....and they make the bike go faster...by at least 3km p h .
The journey begins - Page 5 P9230211
A very expensive modification to stop the wind ripping my head off. This is prototype 2, polycarbonate, 3mm thick...cost $1 as an off cut from a supplier. I will try to make prototype 3 this week and get about another inch of height.
Some clarification about the knee pads. They are not for grip, only to stop me wearing the paint. Has anyone looked at that clear stick on stuff to protect headlights?
Alby, I have sent you a pm.

215Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:59 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hi stan re the idle as it gets warm

i guess 8 out of 10 bikes i have seen lately suffer from the same issue .

this is the solve

first some back ground , im not sure how , but it seems to me that everybody adjusts their throttle body balence ..by naturally opening the bypass screws ....ie turning to the counter clock wise direction to acheive balence .... what happens is that the idle adjusting bolt becomes further away from the idle up bar to some degree ...which is fine on a cold engine as we naturally push the lever to the second position in cold climates and let it fall back a.little ..and of corse it idles fine

the adjustment when done by whoever is nearly always at nearly hot ,,,not like a hot that happens after a ride ....i would call it heat soak ....and that then is true warm .

what i have found is if you turn the bypass screws back about half a revolution ..(clock wise ) and adjust down the idle screw to acheive idle ( that is actually lifting the cross member for the throttle linkages ) you will acheive a good idle that will settle exactly right when hot ...ie 800 -900 revs ....and steady as a heartbeat ///of corse this is after a ride or even a little warming

alby helped me measure the vacume levels with his fabulous carb sticks

we found ...the false adjustment (which increases with heat soak to the motor ) is about 20 mg of vacuume the real adjustment should be closer to 21- 22 mg of vacuume ,,, you will know when you have got it right when you actually turn the idle throttle adjuster slightly ...and it has some effect

just a heads up mate .....works for me ....and i think rt ..and a few others just lately

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

216Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:08 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hey ...i like that little bit of perspex at the top of the screen stan ...looks like it would do "the job" ok

had thought about the same ....

217Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:20 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Charlie, I remember in a thread somewhere where your adjustments were referred to by RT as "mumbo, jumbo" magic. I will discuss it with you in Bingara as I fear that I might stuff it up. I was just worried that the high idle was a sign of something bad.
Would you like me to send you some polycarbonate....have plenty....have been "playing" with it, trying different things. I can also cut and fashion one for you. Mine has to be tall as I am a little taller than you. I do have, or will have at least two prototypes at home, one is tinted.

218Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:59 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
The journey begins - Page 5 Pa220210
Just a few updates. Firstly a mounting point for a GPS...a bolt welded onto a ball bearing.
The journey begins - Page 5 Pa220212
I notice some scuffing of the new paint by my jeans. This is the first faired bike I have owned and my fat legs have a problem fitting behind the fairing. Solutions were man...one being a clear film over the knee indents on the tank....still will be scratched and second the rubber strips that have become stripes. I will see how they wear....supposed to be petrol resistant as well.

219Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:41 am

kfilipow

kfilipow
Silver member
Silver member
ainsjac, the rubber strips actually look good to me, adds an aesthetic touch to the overall appearance of the bike.,,it's different.

220Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:02 pm

BadjerJim

BadjerJim
Silver member
Silver member
Rick G wrote:We got some liners for our bags. Much easier than taking the whole thing into a hotel room and they are water proof or so we are told.

These liners are brand new on eBay, and strike me as a good deal:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-K100-K75-side-saddlebag-liners-/140796101907?ssPageName=ADME:B:WNAFP:US:1123

I haven't ordered them yet... I think my wife did as a birthday present. If so, I'll let you know.

221Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:10 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have not used those but some friends here bought Bestems for their FJR 1300 Jamjars and are happy with them.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

222Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty The journey begins Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:32 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Herr Rickmeister taught me to use those reusable shopping bags from the supermarkets, they are waterproof and quiet strong. Of course if you are worried about freely advertising Woollies then go ahead, waste your money.
RT

223Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:43 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
indeed bob ...crikey for a couple of bucks they are excellent. i have the padded "keep things cold " ones

224Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:43 am

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
What a great looking bike mate, I really like the colour!
Cheers Very Happy
Dave

225Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:21 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
The journey begins - Page 5 Pa070210
For those who like the colour....here is more of it! The lowers are in storage as I have joined the Charlie/RT club.......no lowers.You have discussed keeping things cool.......to keep things very, very warm...put on the lowers....at least in the warmer parts of Australia.

226Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:51 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
looking good stan ...

227Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:24 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Charlie, I am a bit worried when Rickmeister and I park next to one another on Friday. Sunnies will not be supplied.
By the way, I have "fixed" my glovebox lock. Now my key will open the lock......so will any K key.......but don"t tell anyone.

228Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:20 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
ainsjac wrote:By the way, I have "fixed" my glovebox lock. Now my key will open the lock......so will any K key.......but don"t tell anyone.

Shhh, of course no one here would do that to a member.

229Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:07 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Actually Inge, I Think a screwdriver would open it as well....and find that I my secret container full of.........spare screws that I haven't found where they came from. Ah, the joys of rebuilding a bike!

230Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:11 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
crikey stan .....you could have left just one pin in the lock to stop it turning around by itself ?

giggles

231Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:51 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
I found the pins but...............were there some little springs somewhere? Must be the hot weather.....some of the springs got very long and then wouldn't go back. That is heat expansion I would think. But if you put the long springs in the fridge over night....they will not get smaller....just what else could I do?
But all this is our little secret...right?

232Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:03 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
I have had a cheap "cruise control" on my red bike for the last 12 years.
The journey begins - Page 5 Pa310210
It does help with a sore wrist on long journeys. I decided to get another for the orange beast and this was much cheaper and easier to put on and off.
The journey begins - Page 5 Pa310211
It grips against the brake lever and can be changed to different bikes....total cost..about $25.

233Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:08 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
noice !

234Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:51 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
It also is a OEM "cheap version cruise control" available, to be mounted underside the twistgrip body:

The journey begins - Page 5 Friksj10

235Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:00 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I put a real cruise control on the K1100. Its a bit more difficult on a K100 but still can be done.

236Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:45 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
After going to the Bingara gathering and discussions with Charlie I decided to change the radiator shroud to something less "in your face orange". Can't paint it at the moment because of weather conditions. Frame mountings are the brackets for the top fairings and the crash bar mountings. Blakey was kind enough to donate crash bars ......must know I need them. Bike will be washed etc. after the modifications
.The journey begins - Page 5 Pb070310
Notice the scrapes on the paint...gravel!
The journey begins - Page 5 Pb070311[img]https://i.servimg.com/u/f48/16/68/32/92/[url=https://servimg.com/view/16683292/170]The journey begins - Page 5 Pb070313pb070312.jpg[/img][/url]
Painting later on and mounted photos to follow. Colour will be black.

237Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:22 pm

klompy the grey brick

klompy the grey brick
VIP
VIP
Black and orange...it will start to have that tiger look ...perhaps in wavey stripes?

Chassis number0019026
Vehicle code0503
SeriesK589
ModelK 100 RS 83 (0502 ( 0503 )
Body typeK 100 RS 83 (0502
Catalog modelECE
Production date1984 / 07
Engine0513)

The journey begins - Page 5 Au-log10

238Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:26 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
The journey begins - Page 5 Pb090311
The journey begins - Page 5 Pb090312
I feel safer having the radiator guard in place and with the the crash bars in place (thanks Blakey) I have protection.

239Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:59 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
wow ....nice !!! good work stan ....read my thoughts

gives me a project for the weekend i guess ...gigles

just started raining here ....bum .... wet bum even

240Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:55 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Nice job, but....

If the grill was mounted on the back of the flat bar structure, it would give a better finish look. This is an easy modification.

CF

241Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:17 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Crazy, I cheated with the mesh. It is steel mesh and has very, very sharp bits after you cut it. I folded the mesh around the back and flattened it with a hammer and this is how it is kept on. I have thought of getting some rubber channeling, as found around car door frames....will check it out next week.Total cost for the build....$20 for materials.

242Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:06 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Has been a while....finally getting around to repair/repaint damage inflicted in the trip to Bingara.
The journey begins - Page 5 Pc290310
This shows the extremely expensive tank knee protectors.......two old car mud flaps.
The journey begins - Page 5 Pc290312
The top fairing and mirrors have been repaired and undercoated....Monday the rest of the painting will take place and then we wait till the next "off".
Just as a suggestion.....how often do you check the bolts holding your fairing on? I found two of mine very loose...no doubt as a result of the fall, but I wonder, with vibration, etc., that bolts ever loosen.

243Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:19 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Thread locker? (use the blue stuff, don't worry about it until you want to undo it).
Nyloc nuts?
Spring washers?

Good job by the way.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

244Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:35 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Is the blue stuff different to the red? I have only used the red.

245Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:46 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
ainsjac wrote:Is the blue stuff different to the red? I have only used the red.

Blue is for medium strength, red is for high strength & high temperature, purple is for low strength (easily removable), & green is for penetrating threads.

246Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:51 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks TWB. I wonder whether these colours etc. can be used as a colour chart for Blakey and his new bike. Definately can't see him using purple.

247Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:18 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
always good to use good sized flat washer between the fairing (fiberglass ) and the fixings - brackets and bolts , then spring washers or nylock nuts to lock it up stan ....have had the same issue ,,,after the fairing has taken up a little and left the fixing bolts looseish to the mounts .

just an observation

248Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:02 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Good idea Charlie. I will try it next week. Tomorrow all the colour goes on and I usually leave it "bake" in the sun for a week so that the paint is well and truly dry.

249Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:38 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
ainsjac wrote:Good idea Charlie. I will try it next week. Tomorrow all the colour goes on and I usually leave it "bake" in the sun for a week so that the paint is well and truly dry.
In the sun...........there ...........it will go all orange like a cooked crab.

250Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:48 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
So the painting have all been a waste then.......it should just have laid in the sun a week or two. scratch

251Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 5 Empty Re: The journey begins Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:44 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
You people know nothing....it is not crab orange, but Vespa orange and because Vespas are so slow, you need to cure the paint s l o w l y.. Yes nature's baking oven.....this week, a steady 39 degrees every day.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum