BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 6]

51Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty The journey begins Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:06 pm

RT

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Stan
I had to replace mine, got it from Munich Motorcycless in Perth, only took 2 days and was reasonably cheap. I don't think you can get the correct bend in a normal hose without cramping the corner, and it's a pretty important air breather. Whilst ordering go for a service kit as well, has lots of crush washers and O rings for not much cost. That way you won't be tempted to skimp on a new washer at oil change time.
RT

Last edited by RT on Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

52Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:34 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
mine turned up in about 4 days from the "bins" stan

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

53Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:35 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
OK you guys, I concede defeat....can't bend a hose that well. Parts will be ordered today, after the western side of Australia wakes up. Side car, please have a look at a map of Australia, find Perth, no, not the English Perth, and then find Dubbo in New South Wales. My parcel will go from Perth, Western Australia, to Sydney and then to Dubbo. In other words from one side of the island to the other. This is called the tyranny of distance.

54Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:42 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Done that ainsjac,

But it's only 7 inches on my map... The journey begins - Page 2 652573

Paul.

55Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:50 pm

Life time member
Life time member
charlie99 wrote:mine turned up in about 4 days from the "bins" stan

It doesn't get to me any quicker than that!
88KE

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

56Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:29 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
The journey begins - Page 2 P7250010
The bum end has been cleaned up and given some new gloss.
The journey begins - Page 2 P7260010
After an interesting time removing the front plastics I now concentrate on the front. The brown "crud" around the injectors worries me. Do the O rings need replacing or is it just "crud"? The rear most injector has most of the discolouration.
The journey begins - Page 2 P7260011
The engine will need a good clean up....job for next week.
The journey begins - Page 2 P7260012 Relay for driving lights to be removed.

57Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:35 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
That brown crud looks like rust on the steel body of the injector. I wouldnt be concerned but clean it up when you do an injector service.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

58Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:49 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
The journey begins - Page 2 P7260014
This is the cover on the back of the instruments....might make a more secure one.
A number of questions..How do I get rid of that crud?
Why do you always lose washers etc towards the motor and never find them?
What do you do when the leftover pile keeps growing after you put something back together?
Tomorrow air, fuel filters time as well as that crankcase hose.
Fluids have been changed, as well as oil filter.

59Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:59 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
ainsjac wrote:The journey begins - Page 2 P7260014
This is the cover on the back of the instruments....might make a more secure one.
There is usually a plastic cover that goes over those connectors, you may be able to get one from an old harness
A number of questions..How do I get rid of that crud? You would need to remove the injector. The water gathers there and causes the rust. Molassis in a 10-1 mix with water will remove rust, you need to soak it for a couple of days to get rid of that much. then you have bare steel and need to paint it.
Why do you always lose washers etc towards the motor and never find them? Engines live on them
What do you do when the leftover pile keeps growing after you put something back together? After a while there is nothing left to hold it together so nothing to break or come lose so it will never fall off
Tomorrow air, fuel filters time as well as that crankcase hose.
Fluids have been changed, as well as oil filter.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

60Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:06 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Steel wool and sunlight soap. Hand them to someone else to get cleaning while you go grab a beer.
I am glad mine is not the only K with the tell tale fairing scuff on the crank cover. Unfortunately I have a corresponding scuff on the fuel tank.
Time for my own sunlight soap rub.

Keep up the good work.

rossco

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

61Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:15 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Rick, I bet you, in a previous life, were a spin doctor for a politician or convict....hang on they are the same.

62Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:00 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Why do you always lose washers etc towards the motor and never find them? Engines live on them

and the odd socks use them as sinkers when they go fishing

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

63Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:27 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Just on another issue, does the radiator grille on a RT need the lower section of the fairing to be connected. I am leaning towards not putting the hot panels back on. I suppose that will also lower the number of washers I have losing.

64Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:08 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The front panel only hangs by a couple of screws and that only connects it to a flimsy piece of plastic except for the four screws on the side panels so in a word no it needs the side panels.

65Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:15 am

Life time member
Life time member
Stan - I ran mine for a couple of months with the Radiator cowl on but no side panels. I made a lillte bracket for the left side by bending a strip of steel to go from the lower little bolt hole in the side of the rad to the bottom hole on the cowl, just to brace it. I didn't need anything on the right side. No pics of it in operation unfortunately and the side panels are now back on. but here's the bracket itself...

The journey begins - Page 2 Img_0711

Short end goes inside the cowl and the bend wasn't too precise. Hope that helps.

88KE

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

66Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:07 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
88KE, I will make sure I use your idea when putting the lot back together again.
The journey begins - Page 2 P7280010
Finally got around to checking inside the instruments and trying to find why the speedo needs a tap to go. The instruments have 20 11 88 on the outside case...I assume build date...Police speedo. Inside some graffiti artist has been busy....Taffy, 93... maybe a repair? The rest of the bike was made in late 86, early 87 and there is no further evidence of it being a police bike.
The journey begins - Page 2 P7300010
New cover for the back of instruments.
The journey begins - Page 2 P7300011
Paint....expensive. Never put down 3 layer paint before and have asked a friend to guide me. Rub down later this week, then undercoat....a week or two to harden and the real test will begin.

67Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:17 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Asking for some advice on this problem. The "nut" imbedded in the fairing no longer wants to stay there. I know where to stick it, but now I seek your advice on how to best stick it.
The journey begins - Page 2 P7300012

The journey begins - Page 2 P7300013
It will stuck in where the sun does not shine. Looking forward to your thoughts.

68Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:52 am

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
[quote="ainsjac"
The journey begins - Page 2 P7280010
Inside some graffiti artist has been busy....Taffy, 93... maybe a repair? [/quote]

I thought I had seen this artists tag before...here it is in another instrument. check the dates...This was in Rick-Gs old bike.
The journey begins - Page 2 Resize81

I can't help you with the nut but I thought the tag was interesting.

69Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:12 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I was just sitting here thinking if it was Taffy that left one there but the brain fade was working well today.

70Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:22 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Ainsjac, does the "nut" just sit in the hole?

Clean out the hole as best you can. If that's dried glue in there, try and get most of it out.

Place some cuts around the nut (key it), so the glue has something to grip.

Place the glue/epoxy/adhesive (whatever works with whatever the fairing is made of) in the hole. Make sure the hole is sitting straight up, otherwise the adhesive will drip out. Stating the obvious, but oh well.

Be sure that you don't put too much adhesive in there, in case it starts coming up the threads of the nut when you push it in. You may want to find a bolt that fits and screw it in level with the bottom of the nut. Lightly smear the bottom of the nut with Vaseline or similar (so the adhesive doesn't stick the bolt in there). The bolt will stop the adhesive coming up the threads and the Vaseline will make sure you can unscrew the bolt when everything is dry.

For what it's worth, that's what I'd do.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

71Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:49 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
So that is what you use vaseline for! Thanks for that...Tarzans Grip be strong enough? I checked the other side and the nut is still secure.
That Taffy must be a tiny person to get into those instruments and gets around quite a bit. Certainly a mystery, especially with Rick G involved as well. Was Rick's an ex police speedo?
That nut secures the front bolt of the fairing and so should not just sit there, although the other 3 bolts and nuts are very secure.

Last edited by ainsjac on Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot)

72Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:58 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Yep the Gray Ghost was an ex Victorian Police bike

73Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:03 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
I wonder whether Taffy did work for the police....like calibrating the speedos? Don't know where this bike came from originally. What year model was the grey ghost?

74Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:14 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Another question...although not requiring an urgent reply. The "choke" works well, stops at the first "stop", but there is no second stop for it stop at. Stop me if you do not understand. I have to hold it manually. Is it an adjustment near the fuel rail or is the cable getting some where? I will stop here. Please don't choke me.

75Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:44 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
It was 8/93 but was out of service by the time that speedo was fixed by Taffy. It was registered in Qld by that time and sold by the BM Shop in Brisbane in Jan 94 to a friend of mine and I bought it from him in 2005 after it sat for 3 years not used, the ex valves burned out because he didn't know it had shims to adjust the valves, he thought they were hydraulic.

The choke usually only has one stop position and you should hold it if wide open is needed but they get a bit stiff with age and some will stay open all by themselves.

76Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:03 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Took the next step today...removal of fuel tank. OK you people out there with post 85 models have a different set up with the tank. I am used to the single bolt with my 83. Two circlips it was said....to be removed. I spent an hour looking for said circlips, couldn't find any....still couldn't get the tank off. The previous owner or whoever had two tight earth straps from the tank to the frame.
Now I can see more without the tank, I find that there is a fixation with earth straps, everywhere. Were there electrical problems with these?
Tomorrow repairs to panels etc and maybe a rubdown for undercoat. By the way what colour is Blakey going to use on his bike?

77Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:12 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The journey begins - Page 2 310
Right at the end of the arrow #15, there are two in under the small bracket that is welded to the frame.
They may not be there and often are not, so just give the tank a good heave upwards at the rear.

78Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:52 am

Electric Pink, I believe.

The journey begins - Page 2 Images10

79Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:40 am

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
Saxon7 wrote:Electric Pink, I believe.

The journey begins - Page 2 Images10

With Glitter Balls and tassle streamers on the hand grips lol! lol! lol! !!!!!
The journey begins - Page 2 Shiny10
Can we see some said earth straps?

80Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:56 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
ainsjac wrote:Asking for some advice on this problem. The "nut" imbedded in the fairing no longer wants to stay there. I know where to stick it, but now I seek your advice on how to best stick it.
The journey begins - Page 2 P7300012

The journey begins - Page 2 P7300013
It will stuck in where the sun does not shine. Looking forward to your thoughts.

you could fill the nut with plasticene stan, then mix up some fiberglass type epoxy and push it back in place ...let it set , then run a matting of fibre glass around the nut circumference with enough "left over" to bind to the stalk of the mount . dont forget you will need to scuff up the mating surfaces to allow the binding of the fiberglass .

a 10.mm drill lightly to clear the nut of the resin and fiberglass and let the thread be exposed again, the plasticene should breakup with some warm /hot water and evacuate the nut internals ?

hope that helps

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

81Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:09 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Some replies...Rick those circlips were missing, should I put some on when I put the tank back on.
The journey begins - Page 2 P8030110
There were two straps like this as well as a smaller one, all attached to the tank. Maybe the previous owner had a few in his shed.
Electric pink is my choice...Blakey can't have it.
Charlie I have already afixed said nut and will follow up tomorrow with some "gorilla hair". This is the stuff panel beaters use to strengthen sections and it replaces "bog". The "hair" looks like fibreglass strands.

82Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:36 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Maybe the PO having seen back to the future (also made in the 80's) had the idea of making a K100 time machine....and planned on using the same system as Dr Emmett Brown (doc) using lightening as the major source of power.... In such a case I would have said it would be prudent to beef up the earths because of course bikes don't have the faraday's cage effect like a car.....

Twincarb now wanders off to check his plutonium sourced from libya to ensure it's still in a stable condition before he adds the reactor to his K

The journey begins - Page 2 169042The journey begins - Page 2 169034

83Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:40 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
If you put them back on you'll be the only person on earth who did.
Its not a bad idea to have an eth strap on the tank. I have a theory about no eth strap and pin holes in the aluminium near the pump. Be good to see if you have any holes there as I would say that the straps have been there since new.
The holes show as small blisters in the external paint under the puel pump at the lowest point as that is where the water will collect.
I have fixed four tanks now and all looked like electrolsis had a part in the process to me.

84Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:42 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
twincarb wrote:Maybe the PO having seen back to the future (also made in the 80's) had the idea of making a K100 time machine....and planned on using the same system as Dr Emmett Brown (doc) using lightening as the major source of power.... In such a case I would have said it would be prudent to beef up the earths because of course bikes don't have the faraday's cage effect like a car.....

Twincarb now wanders off to check his plutonium sourced from libya to ensure it's still in a stable condition before he adds the reactor to his K
dont forget to take your tinfoil hat. It also protects you from lightening.

85Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:55 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
dont worry about the clips on the rear mounts of the tank stan ....just make sure the rubber grommets are in good shape and maybe a little non rubber attacking lube to get the tank back in them ....and off in the future ...the rubber bumpers at the front tend to put pressure on the rear mounts ...rather well

5 cents from an old fart

86Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:10 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
ainsjac wrote:Another question...although not requiring an urgent reply. The "choke" works well, stops at the first "stop", but there is no second stop for it stop at. Stop me if you do not understand. I have to hold it manually. Is it an adjustment near the fuel rail or is the cable getting some where? I will stop here. Please don't choke me.
This is normal at a K100, on K75`s it locks in both positions.

About all the earth straps, I`ll guess it`s a former police..........and the earth straps is for the radio interference.

And about the clips at the rear end of the tank, don`t worry.................but keep a couple in your pocket, and if you see a accident arising........be quick to put them on.

Last edited by Inge K. on Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:22 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Adding info.)

87Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:16 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
I will take your 5 cents, old fart.
This is what I love about this forum, all helping one another and one Twin Carb, who is on another planet...probably still in the Olympic mode....Don't worry, not too long to go now.
Rick, I will have a better look under the tank tomorrow. It still has the "insulation" sheet stuck to it....maybe melted there through that lightning bolt.

88Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:19 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Inge, the reason I asked was that my 83 naked stops at both "stops". I am learning quite a deal about how a model evolves.

89Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:27 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Not on another planet... on another quantum time... This one has no Olympics on it! Wink Mind you it's good to see the Union Jack being on the podium in so many events.... even if it is only in the top corner of some of the flags....

One day the US will scratch the stars off of the top of their flag and it will reveal the Union Jack! Wink I think that the day will be when the UK becomes the 51st state and also becomes a pivotal state in the voting of the president... due to the 62,000,000 voters here! Wink

Back to the world ok K.... I don't have the clips to hold my tank down and it's a really good fit I have had no worries of the tank moving when riding...

The journey begins - Page 2 169042The journey begins - Page 2 169034

90Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:30 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
The difference is the number of holes in the half moon shaped plate at the red arrow.

The journey begins - Page 2 Choke10

91Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:42 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Not the K75 or K100 had a positive stop in the second position and I have had both apart to clean and lube them.
If I want it wide open I have to hold it there and the same on the K1100.

92Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:55 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
I remember last time this issue was discussed, CF did mention that the lever did lock in both positions on his K75 (and the half moon plate was drilled in both positions, i.e. genuine)

Done some research, and the two position lock mechanism is used on all 75`s
(exept RT, for some strange reason), and a whole lot of the boxers at this era.

93Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:17 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
That explains the K75 it is an RT. There are so many parts being swaped round all the time I doubt that many K are as they came from the factory. I think the K100 had been damaged at one stage as the fairing was patched in a few places.
Like those forks I had that were strange ones.
Found the numbers on the paniers, they were buried in paint and I need 4 different keys. I have 1 x 44, 3 x 49, 1 x 56 and 1 x 65 Arrrrgg think I will do without for a while and unlike the later locks I cant just file bits of the barrels.
Mind I cant expect too much I only paid $75 for them.

94Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:31 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Rick G wrote:Found the numbers on the paniers, they were buried in paint and I need 4 different keys. I have 1 x 44, 3 x 49, 1 x 56 and 1 x 65 Arrrrgg.

Then you only need some more key pictures, some 2mm sheet metal, your dremel and needle files.
And you would be occupied for some evenings...............

95Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:34 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
ouch thats gotta hurt rick ....

i guess the economics of it all dont allow for new locks all round ?

i have been looking at the locks themselves and there is little ...erm chance that the parts could be swapped out from others as most of the assembly is just peened aluminium lugs holding the important bits together ...(spring clips holding the bodies together ,,lock mechanism to flap ) etc .

i guess there is no way of making a universal key ....or is there ?

the cut in the keys seems all constant ....just the profiles are diffeent ....maybe a super slim key blank could be the answer ? the big question is the durability of that key i guess ????

unless we can look up the keys you have and find a suitable profile that covers most profiles ???

96Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:39 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Inge K. wrote:
Rick G wrote:Found the numbers on the paniers, they were buried in paint and I need 4 different keys. I have 1 x 44, 3 x 49, 1 x 56 and 1 x 65 Arrrrgg.

Then you only need some more key pictures, some 2mm sheet metal, your dremel and needle files.

we did see a key in there that was kinda common inge ...it was a standard blank of a l&f key that i saw as a donor .....this key is easy to modify and verry "available " although wider than the key we need .

it should serve well as a blank for "manipulation " to make things work

ill get a new one and take a pic ...as it is supplied, to offer for ideas and constructive critism ?

The journey begins - Page 2 Key_pr10

97Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:29 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Inge K. wrote:

If I can't make it using a tig, mig, lathe or mill then I aint interested. I will wait till I can get some new latches. The bags are worth spending some money on them.

98Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:52 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Inge and Rick have just shown me the secret of BMW's success. The secret revolves around the circlip! Yep, circlips that are held together with metal and plastic. The humble circlip determines whether your choke has one or two stops. The semi circular circlip holds your fuel tank together and of course your bike will have at least one "spare" circlip sitting somewhere after it was sprung.
The circlip...secret of success.

99Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:24 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
The journey begins - Page 2 P8040110
Doesn't go that well without the other bits. In about 6 weeks these will be another colour......after some repairs.
The journey begins - Page 2 P8040111
That nut that was coming out is now secure. Other repairs are being made to where previous owner had fibreglassed the mounting points. With cold weather about I am allowing quite a bit of time for things to cure. My wife will not take the roast out of the oven so I can use it for some of the bits. By the way that fibreglass has a real nice smell to it.

100Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:28 pm

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Confirm Inge's comment ,my " choke " has 2 detents .

And a safety story re circlips at rear of tank , also mentioned by Inge , a mate of mine lost his whole bike ( not a K bike ) in a minor shunt when fuel went everywhere and incinerated it . As Inge says keep them handy !

101Back to top Go down   The journey begins - Page 2 Empty Re: The journey begins Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:49 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Why was the single bolt fixing such a bad idea?

Paul.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum